• Register
  • Help

Topic: Audio Transcription Software

Share/Bookmark

Audio Transcription Software

There has been discussion here of software capable of converting wav to midi. I can not find the thread. Can somebody comment on the subject? I have need of such a program for a project. The music in question is too complicated for transcription by a music stenographer.

I have searched with Google & Ask, found millions of entries, impossible to sort out.

If anyone can provide useful information, at least two people will be very happy.

Richard

Re: Audio Transcription Software

The piece of kit in question is Melodyne with DNA, but its not been released and I, for one, am very sceptical. Mathematically it shouldn't be able to work.

Cubase 5, which I have just got, has the ability to transcribe a solo wav sound to midi and then to score, but only solo notes.

I've only tried it so far on my bass, as it can also correct notes which are out of tune, I find a fretless bass hard to play accurately.
    Derek
    Things may come and things may go but the art school dance goes on forever
    NOW WITH Cubase 5, JABB,GPO, Fender Strat, Ibanez RG, Yamaha Fretless Bass, Framus Archtop, The Trumpet and Mr T Sax, together with GREEN SEALING WAX

I just learned about this yet-unfinished program
    at TMEA. Descriptions can be found by entering >direct note access<.
    As I view the description, it seems to be a program that can show an audio file, and correct out of tune/wrong notes by adjusting individual sounds.
    I don't see anything about converting to midi. It may be there, but I don't see it.
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by rwayland View Post
    There has been discussion here of software capable of converting wav to midi. I can not find the thread. Can somebody comment on the subject? I have need of such a program for a project. The music in question is too complicated for transcription by a music stenographer.

I have searched with Google & Ask, found millions of entries, impossible to sort out.

If anyone can provide useful information, at least two people will be very happy.

Richard
    http://www.widisoft.com/english/products.html
    http://www.mp3towav.org/TS-AudioToMIDI/
    http://www.intelliscore.net/
    http://www.akoff.com/

and I used as search argument: "audio midi converter" . No guarantee these programs will work, never tried them.

Raymond

Richard,

I think the stenographer still has the leg up on transcription versus the Audio to MIDI tools. Any sort of applied effect, even reverb, can really throw them off. Melodyne is pretty hip, but the designers themselves have said the DNA is not intended to process harmonically dense material (it's more for adjusting guitar comps).

If the piece in question is too fast to catch all of the rhythms, there are programs out there that can take the whole thing and slow it down. Even though some will drop the pitch during this process, once you get the first pitch, all of the notes are relative anyhow.

Best,
    Reegs

This isn't exactly what you're looking for, but this is a fantastic software for transcription work. It's aptly named TRANSCRIBE! and can slow down various percentages without changing pitch and does some harmonic analysis as it's playing the audio file.

Highly recommended if you do transcription.

Steve Winkler

Quote Originally Posted by swinkler View Post
    This isn't exactly what you're looking for, but this is a fantastic software for transcription work. It's aptly named TRANSCRIBE! and can slow down various percentages without changing pitch and does some harmonic analysis as it's playing the audio file.

Highly recommended if you do transcription.

Steve Winkler
    Well, I don't do transcription, at least not lately. I have in mind just one specific work, and it must be quite accurate, as the result will be on national tv, I expect.

I downloaded some demos of transcription software, the results of which vindicated my security practices. They came equipped with serious security violations and tracking cookies. They have now been consigned to cyber hell.

I will continue looking, but your recommendation is the most promising so far.

If I had sufficient time, I could possibly play by ear from the audio source and create a score or midi file, but considering my lack of practice at that sort of thing, it would be quite a chore.

Raymond, thanks for your suggestions. I had spotted those earlier, but had no way of knowing their usefulness. Now I know.

There is a huge number of transcription software listed by Google, but I have no way of determining which are worth a try. But I will keep at it for a while.

Richard

IMO, the human mind and ear is still vastly superior to any piece of software with regards to this type of transcription. Dan Kury has a fantastic ear when it comes to extracting audio.

JT

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Turner View Post
    IMO, the human mind and ear is still vastly superior to any piece of software with regards to this type of transcription. Dan Kury has a fantastic ear when it comes to extracting audio.

JT
    Amen Jeff, Amen.

Jerry
    MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5ghz 4GB Ram OSX 10.5.8
    Korg TritonLe & MAudio Oxygen 8
    T3, Logic 9, DP7, K2, GPO4, Strad, Gofriller, C&MB, Finale 2010

My Website!
    New Film Scores!
    Also, Ever think about having your very own personal documentary? See my new Website!
    http://www.mylegacyfilm.com

Well, I surely would trust my ears more than the software I have tested! I had hoped to find software that would at least give me a decent outline, but so far, all I have for my efforts is a bit of dizziness! So, I guess I won't do it, unless there is a much longer time than I think there is.

Richard

Go Back to forum