• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Pro Tools 8 and Omnisphere

Share/Bookmark

Pro Tools 8 and Omnisphere

I am running Pro Tools 8 on my Macbook Pro 2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo with 2 GB RAM.

Yeah I know it could use a bit more memory....:^)

Anyway....with a single instance of Omnisphere on single instrument track with absolutely nothing else....I am getting running out of CPU errors "please increase the buffer size or lose some plug in's".

I am recording to a 7200 RPM Firewire external drive...a Maxtor. Hardware buffer sizes all the way up to 2048.

I actually was trying to lay in an EZ Drummer track to Omni but it would not fly...kept hanging up.

So I decided to bounce the Omni synth track to auudio so I could lose the Omni instance, but I had a rough time doing that.

I have read about others having issues with Omnisphere and Tools 8.

So I wanted to ask here and also ask Eric if he would give the skinny as to how things are at the moment.

Omni on my MacPro 2.66GHz studio machine is much better. It still is really eating up CPU but I can get the job done.

Anyway, any comments will be appreciated as always.
    2.66GHz MacPro Quad|6GB RAM|OSX10.6.4| 2.4 GHz MacBook Pro|4GB RAM|OSX 10.6.4|Pro Tools 9 w/CPTK|Digi 002R, Eleven Rack, MBox2 Mini|Garritan-GPO4, J&BB| Reason 4|Spectrasonics-Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian|Drumcore3, Discrete Drums|Toontrack-Superior Drummer, EZ Drummer|Sibelius 6|Izotope-Ozone4, RX2|String Studio|EastWest-Silk, VOP, Symphonic Choirs, RA, Gypsy, Stormdrum2, Fab Four|Reaper|

Re: Pro Tools 8 and Omnisphere

I've got an 8 core Mac Pro, 2.8ghz and 10GB of RAM. The GUI still takes up to 10 seconds to open in PT8 and the RAM usage is nuts. I rarely use more than 2 parts as otherwise I get various CPU/Disk buffer errors.
    Also if I have Omni in a project it takes *forever* to load - you can see it hanging as it loads the "Om1" etc tracks.
    This is with an up-to-date Omni and all the disk streaming settings set according to their help pages.

That does not seem right for such a powerful computer. I would expect my laptop to be a bit less of a performer than my MacPro...but still. These are the latest Mac computers really and one would expect serious performance.

I must say mine does not take horribly long to load.

You know I was told that Omni is slower in RTAS....has much better performance in Logic. I kinda wish I knew that initially, that performance is different across platforms.

I am not going to change my DAW platform anytime soon. I hope there is better performance in sight for PT8.

I am curious about these disk streaming settings. I will try look for that or if you get time I would love it if you can point me there. Thanks.
    2.66GHz MacPro Quad|6GB RAM|OSX10.6.4| 2.4 GHz MacBook Pro|4GB RAM|OSX 10.6.4|Pro Tools 9 w/CPTK|Digi 002R, Eleven Rack, MBox2 Mini|Garritan-GPO4, J&BB| Reason 4|Spectrasonics-Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian|Drumcore3, Discrete Drums|Toontrack-Superior Drummer, EZ Drummer|Sibelius 6|Izotope-Ozone4, RX2|String Studio|EastWest-Silk, VOP, Symphonic Choirs, RA, Gypsy, Stormdrum2, Fab Four|Reaper|

Quote Originally Posted by re_mute View Post
    . The GUI still takes up to 10 seconds to open in PT8
    I just tried on my laptop and got about 8 seconds. But then Ozone takes a while also.

Digi's own XPand 2 took 15 seconds EZ Drummer 3 seconds

The patches in Omi are fast. I loaded Adagio Fairissimo and that took under 2 seconds.

I don't mind a few seconds on a load, I mean it is s large program.

I just want stability and it not chewing up my CPU.

guys you won't believe this but a recent article in SOS said that in the
    options menu under Audio Playback you have to choose SINGLE PROCESSOR under RTAS playback. Apparently, even those with multi core processors should only dedicate a single processor to RTAS plug-ins. I was having similar problems as those on this thread, I did the change explained above, now I can run Symphobia, Omnisphere, PLAY, pretty much everything I own in PT8.

Hope this helps!

Quote Originally Posted by davecos View Post
    guys you won't believe this but a recent article in SOS said that in the
    options menu under Audio Playback you have to choose SINGLE PROCESSOR under RTAS playback.

Hope this helps!
    The trick/fix is to run to run PT8 using 1 less processor than the the max. If you have an 8 core mac run using 7 etc. If you only have 2 you will be down to a single processor which may cause problems.

Denis

Quote Originally Posted by Lister Coleman View Post
    That does not seem right for such a powerful computer. I would expect my laptop to be a bit less of a performer than my MacPro...but still. These are the latest Mac computers really and one would expect serious performance.

I must say mine does not take horribly long to load.

You know I was told that Omni is slower in RTAS....has much better performance in Logic. I kinda wish I knew that initially, that performance is different across platforms.

I am not going to change my DAW platform anytime soon. I hope there is better performance in sight for PT8.

I am curious about these disk streaming settings. I will try look for that or if you get time I would love it if you can point me there. Thanks.
    Assuming you're logged in to the support site, the address is -
    http://support.spectrasonics.net/viewtopic.php?t=222

I am actually indeed logged in as I am installing RMX and the S.A.G.E expanders right now. Just popped in for a look here.

Thanks. Much appreciated. Thanks all. I had heard about the processor thing. Did not know it was also for a dual...I thought 4 or more. Thanks I will try it.

Stay on one processor. I'm on a Mac Pro quad running PT HD 3 and can run about 4 midi channels to Omni along with a few other VI's at the same time without a glitch. Switch to 4 processors and the system goes to hell.

Wow you only have a single processor selected. Okay I will give it a try and report in.

I'd love to hear from Eric, has he been around lately?

Go Back to forum