• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: Bosendorfer Imperial Concert Grand Piano MP3's

Share/Bookmark

Re: Bosendorfer Imperial Concert Grand Piano MP3\'s

I like it, I\'m listening through right now. Finally someone puts up piano demos with acceptable audio quality, this is the first IMO. Kip, you still clipped in too many of the pieces (loud passages, sounded like you needed to turn down the GS masters).

Kip, would you briefly describe the program that was used to play these, I assume it was pretty much a straight up dry reading of the sample. Sounds like no (or minimal) filtering, are the velocity transitions just the sample transitions x volume scaling, or is filtering used to transition between or within layers?

Hello Sam,

Thank you for your compliments!

There is absolutely no filtering of any sorts. These samples are all totally unprocessed, and no filtering between the various velocity layers.

There is no clipping on any of these demos. My web master was bumped quiet often during the uploading process of these MP3\'s, and I can detect a few slight glitches in the audio on the MP3\'s that were bumped during the uploading process. Rather than pulling these MP3\'s from the server and reload them, we continued from where we were bumped from the server. This uploading process took several hours with a 56k modem, and we certainly did not want to suffer any longer with this uploading process than we had to. My local internet server is rather primitive, but my studio and equipment are far from being anywhere near primitive.

Kip
    Bardstown Audio www.bardstownaudio.com

[This message has been edited by Bardstown Audio (edited 01-11-2002).]

Hurrah - finally some jazz examples!

I really love this GigaSample. It sounds wonderfully powerful and tonally complex. I just whacked the demos through my Lexicon and sat back in amazement.

You see - that\'s all it takes ... a few jazzy examples and I\'m there.

What\'s the best way of ordering from the UK?

WOW....from one developer to another this is absolutely fantastic. I can\'t wait to get my hands on it!!!!!

Donnie

A very fine piano. Lively and Bright without excess hammer hit.Powerful.

I am just wondering who listens to a piano with their ears inside the lid? I find the stereo image jumping back and forth quite drastically. It would not sound like this in a concert hall or larger room.

I would have preferred the mics to be back at least 4 to 6 feet. Yes I am sure that there is a trade-off for signal to noise ratio. But to my ears the piano sound is coupled to its environment. Wood floors, high ceilings, curtains etc. all contibute to the sound. I like this much better than the East West Bos however.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by sjduck:
    Hurrah - finally some jazz examples!

I really love this GigaSample. It sounds wonderfully powerful and tonally complex. I just whacked the demos through my Lexicon and sat back in amazement.

You see - that\'s all it takes ... a few jazzy examples and I\'m there.

What\'s the best way of ordering from the UK?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hello sjduck,

You can email me your telephone number and I will call you in order to take your order. There is five hours difference in time between my time and UK time. Let me know what time of day UK time is best for me to call you.

Kip

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by donnie:
    WOW....from one developer to another this is absolutely fantastic. I can\'t wait to get my hands on it!!!!!

Donnie
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thank you Donnie for your Compliments! You have produced some really amazing sampled instrument libraries yourself!

Kip

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mel Tron:
    A very fine piano. Lively and Bright without excess hammer hit.Powerful.

I am just wondering who listens to a piano with their ears inside the lid? I find the stereo image jumping back and forth quite drastically. It would not sound like this in a concert hall or larger room.

I would have preferred the mics to be back at least 4 to 6 feet. Yes I am sure that there is a trade-off for signal to noise ratio. But to my ears the piano sound is coupled to its environment. Wood floors, high ceilings, curtains etc. all contibute to the sound. I like this much better than the East West Bos however.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hello Mel Tron,

Thank you for your compliments!

You are correct. There is a trade off for signal to noise ratio. This piano was sample recorded in a large performance hall. Fortunately, I did not have to do any noise reduction, or any other processing on this piano.

As good as this piano sounds being totally unprocessed, and without any added reverb or room simulation, such as the way these demos were produced, it really sounds like a million dollars when I add some Altiverb performance hall emulation. It truly sounds most startlingly real with Altiverb, as though you are REALLY sitting in a World Class performance hall and listening to a concert pianist playing a world class piano.

Altiverb is a MAS format plug-in for Digital Performer, which works off of the altivec processor in a Mac G4. Altiverb is as good or maybe even better than a $10,000 Sony DRES777, which is an acoustic impulse performance hall emulation reverb unit.

Perhaps in the next few days, I could post another demo of the Bosendorfer processed with Altiverb. You would be absolutely amazed at the sound of this.

Kip

Thanks for the info Kip. I shall email you my details as soon as I have decided (pretty soon, hopefully.)

I do have one piece of constructive criticism about your demos and many other developers\' demos; to my (relatively inexperienced GigaSample) ear, many of the performances seem to be quite heavily played. By this, I mean that we regularly hear several of the highest velocity samples in a row. Is this to demonstrate the full dynamic range of these samples or a problem with MIDI velocity ranges - *or* my duff ear?

Steve

[This message has been edited by sjduck (edited 01-10-2002).]

Hello sjduck,

I did set the velocities fairly high on these demos, because so many people have indicated that they want a \"balzy\" and powerful sounding piano.

What I am going to do is to have a few free articulation file downloads from my web site, with different velocity settings, for people who have different taste in pianos. There will be an articulation velocity file download for people who want a lighter touch for stronger velocities, and there will also be an articulation velocity file download for people who want to really play a keyboard controller with more force, in order to trigger the louder velocity levels.

There will also be another free articulation file download for people who would like to have a \"lite version\" of this piano, in addition to the full version.

Kip

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast