• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Best Mac Pro

Share/Bookmark

Best Mac Pro

I am sure this has been posted before but cant seem to find it. I am getting ready to purchase a Mac Pro, but tossed between the 2.8 and 3GHz processors, mainly due to the price difference which is steep. I am definately getting two processors and 8GB RAM. Is there really that big of a difference between the 2 for actual performance, I will mainly be using this for music production? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
    Mac OSX 6 / Logic 9 / Cubase 5 / Ableton / Omnisphere / Stylus Rmx / Trillion / Komplete / Groove Agent / Kontrol 49 / UC 33e / Euphonix MC Mix n Control

Re: Best Mac Pro

I've read a lot of posts on different sites saying that the price difference between 2.8 and 3.0 is not really worth the money.

Also get the latest Mac Pro, preferably 8 core, as much RAM as you can, and the best drives with at least 7200 rpm.

Al

{Edit} Actually looking at your stats I see you aren't running really large Orchestral libraries so maybe 2 core with 8gig of RAM would be enough.

I will definately be going with Quads. Thanks for the post
    Mac OSX 6 / Logic 9 / Cubase 5 / Ableton / Omnisphere / Stylus Rmx / Trillion / Komplete / Groove Agent / Kontrol 49 / UC 33e / Euphonix MC Mix n Control

I'm desperately waiting to replace my aging G5, but want to wait for the new Core i7 Mac Pros to come out. Check out Mac OS Rumours and MacBlogz for the info on the new Intel Chips.

Every one I talked with - retailers and techs - suggested I wait. If you can wait another 2 or 3 months, it will be worth it.

Cheers

You will save hundreds of dollars if you DON'T buy the RAM from Apple when you order the machine. You can get the EXACT SAME RAM if you purchase either Samsung Apple Certified RAM or Crucial Apple certified RAM from a 3rd party vender and install it yourself.

www.crucial.com

www.macsales.com

With that savings...you might be able to afford the 3GHz 8-core...and still get your 8GB RAM or more.

Just something to think about.
    Regards,
    Brian W. Ralston

Check out my new FREE iPhone App! Click Here!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian W. Ralston View Post
    You will save hundreds of dollars if you DON'T buy the RAM from Apple when you order the machine. You can get the EXACT SAME RAM if you purchase either Samsung Apple Certified RAM or Crucial Apple certified RAM from a 3rd party vender and install it yourself.

www.crucial.com

www.macsales.com

With that savings...you might be able to afford the 3GHz 8-core...and still get your 8GB RAM or more.

Just something to think about.
    I have to 2nd this.
    MacBook Pro 17-inch 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 4GB memory Mac OS X (10.6.2) Logic Pro 9, G-Tech Raid 2 1TB/Lacie HD, RME Fireface 400, Axiom 25, Voices Of Passion, Goliath, Symphonic Orchestra Gold, Symphonic Chiors, Silk, R.A., Storm Drums 2, Stylus RMX, Peak Pro,Trilian, and Omnisphere.

www.plusishiphop.com
    www.myspace.com/plusishiphop
    www.twitter.com/plusishiphop
    www.youtube.com/plusishiphop

Not only don't buy your extra RAM from Apple, don't buy your extra hard drives from them either. You can buy the 'same' hard drive that Apple would supply at a much better price elsewhere. If you have as many dongles and USB devices as I have, you may also need an extra USB PCIe card. I recommmend "Allegro Express USB (USB2-E) = $69.95" from Sonnet. It works in a Mac; some others do not. Finally go with the 2.8 GHz model; you would see little difference if you spent more on the 3 GHz model.................playz
    Cubase 7.0.3, Wavelab 7.1, Omnisphere, Trilian, Stylus RMX, Symphobia 1 & 2 , all Spitfire libraries, LASS 2, Requiem Pro, Voxos, Superior Drummer 2, Komplete 8, Cinematic Guitars, most EW libraries, Chris Hein Horns, Guitar & Bass, 2.8 GHz Mac Pro, 18 GB RAM, OS 10.6.8, RME Multiface II + HDSP PCIe

Oh I was definately planning on getting the xtra RAM and Hard Drives from newegg. My biggest decision was the processor speed. But now seeing the new processor models that are comming out I might be waiting a bit longer. but thanks to everyone for your input

Quote Originally Posted by mattdean View Post
    I'm desperately waiting to replace my aging G5, but want to wait for the new Core i7 Mac Pros to come out. Check out Mac OS Rumours and MacBlogz for the info on the new Intel Chips.

Every one I talked with - retailers and techs - suggested I wait. If you can wait another 2 or 3 months, it will be worth it.

Cheers
    Same here. The current models are over a year old and as much I would love to replace my G5, I'll wait for the new ones.

I guess the question for me now is do I wait for the new ones or get the current Mac pro that we all know is stable

Go Back to forum