• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Please Post Your Thoughts on up-coming CHALLENGE #20

Please Post Your Thoughts on up-coming CHALLENGE #20

We've just finished up what could be the most prolonged Challenge contest ever--it stretched on for months, through the Christmas holidays and now on into the middle of February.

I think it was in 2007 when the Challenge contest went through a burst of activity, with two and three times the number of entries we have now, and with more people voting too - though getting people to stop and take a listen, cast a vote--that's always been a pretty low percentage of the total Forum membership.

I'd enjoy seeing this thing get more Happening. Considering that it's an event involving our skills as arrangers and composers, it's symbolic of the whole reason we're here.

Using myself as an example, I've been super busy for quite awhile now. But I found it a nice change-of-pace and short-term project, to play around with Daniel's theme until I had something to submit. I think most of us could find the little bit of time it takes to do one of these arrangements. And I think we could all pause for a moment over the course of a day or two, and hear the entries our fellow members submit.

This is the third time I've won this--!---I keep getting involved in the Challenge because I found out from the first round I jumped into, that it's a lot of fun.

- What would you like the nature of the next Challenge theme to be? -We've had a variety of styles to work with over the last 19 Challenges, but usually what's presented is a full melody--often an 8 or 16 bar melody which stands on its own and narrows down the choices of appropriate chord structures. We're often given Songs to work with.

I think it could be a fun challenge to present just a handful of notes along with a mood perhaps. Just a few notes which the entrants would need to develop in whatever direction they want.

We all know how the opening of Beethoven's 5th is a massive development of just 4 notes.

Something along those lines. Perhaps notes that don't even have a time value. I could post a few notes, whole notes, on a staff so you could see which octave I have in mind for each note - but then the rhythm of the notes could be determined by the arrangers, the development, the continuation - all up to the entrants.

For one thing we would bound to end up with Extremely different pieces. And as I said, there's the idea that I could post a word, an adjective which could be part of the challenge - to create the piece with a particular mood in mind.

Thoughts? Do you find it an interesting idea for me to present a short motif of only a few notes, perhaps with no time values attached to them? Interesting to post an adjective along with the notes as a suggestion for a mood to aim for? Does that attract you as a fun little challenge you'd like to try?

Lemme know what you think!

Randy B.

Re: Please Post Your Thoughts on up-coming CHALLENGE #20

The most simple melody can be a real challenge. Why not this one (the tonal scale is your responsibility):

Do-Re-Mi-Fa-Sol-Sol-Sol (the last Sol twice time span) - La-Sol-Fa-Mi-Re-Do (the last two notes twice the length). As Rossini is supposed to have said "You must be able to compose a menu (in a restaurant)".

I won't be doing this one, too little time for it, busy with the 4th part of the Symphony. Sorry, but I'll stick to my original planning. Good luck!!

I would suggest 24 notes. You provide the notes without any indication of duration. The duration is completely up to the writer.

24 can be divided into 4, 3, 8, 6 so it can lead to flexible interpretations.

I believe the original design of this contest did not put any restrictions on what was presented for development in the challenge. The winner of the previous challenge should be able to set up the challenge musically as he would like a challenge to go. The rules I have read only seem to deal with submissions to the challenge, format and voting.

I like Randy's motivic idea and Alan & Ern (sounds like a law firm ) have a great idea too. It should ultimately be Randy who decides on what the challenge is to be based.

Yikes a 4 note motif! Emulate Beethoven! The challenges you guys come up with really tax me. (or am I taxed on April 15 - . . . _ )
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Thank you all, Raymond, Alan, Ern, and Rich, for the input. It is, of course, up to the Challenge setter to throw out whatever kind of musical idea he/she wants. I wanted to hear some thoughts, and I appreciate you guys taking the time to respond.

Hmmmmm. Not sure yet what I'll be doing, but within a week, coordinating with Challenge captain, Sean, I'll have the new Challenge #20 thread up.

Another thought might be a combination of ideas already presented. That is the winner could submit a motif or melody and a style to imitate.

If you're into Sousa, submit a melody that could be written in the style of Sousa or if you're into minimalism submit a couple of notes and tell everyone to write something minimalistic. This would be a good way to delve into specific composers or styles and imitate while bringing some originality.

Another idea if you wanted to keep it strictly an orchestration contest would be to re-orchestrate someone's work. When I was in school we had to re-orchestrate a selection from Elektra by Strauss for example (wish we would have had GPO then )

Just a couple of thoughts I had.

Steve Winkler

I'm with Rich, a simple motivic idea might be fun - 12 - tone, hmm, I don't think this forum is into that, but you Randy have the gold ring - go for it and let's see your spirit move us to new heights.

We dream to write and we write to dream.

Challenge #10 Winner

Thanks for replying, Bill. I think you're right, that to submit an actual 12 tone series wouldn't get too many people revved up.

Still not sure what I'll do - Probably not quite as strange as the modal line I offered up on a previous Challenge, remember that? Interesting results that time around, but some people said they just found it too strange to work with. I'm wanting the theme to be inviting to everyone, a challenge, but not overwhelmingly so.

Weeeee'll see - Give me some time.

What would you like the nature of the next Challenge theme to be?

Rock Symphony maybe? Two short movements.

Okay, I'll go back to my room.
    Producer ~ Sound Engineer ~ Musician

Go Back to forum