• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Blott En Dag - Euphonium Solo!

Share/Bookmark

Blott En Dag - Euphonium Solo!

Blott En Dag is a hymn written in 1865 by Lina Sandells (1832-1903) and the music was composed by Oskar Ahnfelt (1813-1882) who wrote the music to all her hymns and traveled Skandinavia performing them with a 10-string guitar. This hymn is said to have been a favorite of Jenny Lind who performed it worldwide.
    I have wanted to do an arrangement for Euphonium for a long time, and mistersynths recent British Brass Band post got me going on this. I took a 5 year old guitar performance I had recorded (when I still had some chops) and added the Solo Euphonium 1 from GCMB. This is a minimalist arrangement with a very simple melody, as I wanted to try the Euphonium out and wanted it to be exposed. I hope this is enjoyed, and all comments are welcome. Thanks!

http://www.box.net/shared/s1g8k2nzkg

version #2:http://www.box.net/shared/4df5fs2ati

Re: Blott En Dag - Euphonium Solo!

That's nice John.
    Producer ~ Sound Engineer ~ Musician

http://www.myspace.com/451525581

That's a very nice rendition of a very touching piece of music.

Brass always benefits from lots of verb but I guess you chose to keep it close to the listener.

Very relaxing.

I wish I could have heard her sing.

Phil

Thumbs up Re: Blott En Dag - Euphonium Solo!

That was a surprise to hear that you know about the Swedish opera singer, Jenny Lind.

You really have caught the very typical Nordic melancholy of the Swedish folk soul in this piece.The cautious and modest tone expresses very well how the Swedes want to appear to the outside world, even though this is not always a realistic picture!

Anyway, you have done a great job, John

It's not often I see my own language displayed on this site, LOL!

Fred

What a nice surprise this is, John! It's rare to hear a Hymn in the Listening Rom, and equally as rare to hear something featuring the Euphonium.

It sounds really nice. I especially liked the duet in the second half when the old recording of your Guitar and the Euph were sharing the spotlight. In the first half, I felt the Guitar was too low in the mix, but that did give the track a more gentle beginning so was actually an effective choice.

Thanks for the background story on the song--Jenny Lind--You bet, Fredrik, I wouldn't be surprised if most people here have heard of The Swedish Nightingale!

It's a wonderful thing also, John, that you breathed new life into your old Guitar track--What a fine project this was, and with very enjoyable results.

Thanks!

Randy

John:

WOW, what a really great arrangement and such GREAT
    guitar playing. Really enjoyed this immensely.

This whole "offering" would be great in a Western Movie;
    perhaps, as background for meditative scenes. Just a
    great cue in my estimation.

BRAVO
    , John

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Thanks to all who have listened and commented on my little offering....

Hippie - Now my stuff is something you can really sleep to!

Phil - Thanks for listening. I'm still experimenting with reverbs and have lots to learn.

Fredrik - What's a Norseman doing down there in the tropics?
    Thanks for your comments, I suspect the Lutheran piety combined with the harsh climate and many centuries of poverty forged the Swedish stoicism or reticence. I'm pleased you liked the folk quality to my arrangement.

Randy - Glad you liked the little duet. The guitar is the only instrument I can really play. I can remember as a child when I first saw and heard someone playing the guitar,the sound seemed to pierce my chest and go right into my heart. I hope I can play right up to the end.

Jack - I never really thought of this tune as movie material, but I can see now how it could be suitable for a certain scene. The quiet guitar certainly lends itself to a natural, pastoral mood. You have always been so supportive of my modest efforts, Thanks so much!

John

If there are any guitarists who would like to learn a fairly simple arrangement of this tune, here is a link to a video that shows the positions nicely: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eX_Z3...eature=related

I'm neither a Lutheran or a Stoic, that's why I've become tropic, he he!

Wink Re: Blott En Dag - Euphonium Solo!

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    What a nice surprise this is, John! It's rare to hear a Hymn in the Listening Rom, and equally as rare to hear something featuring the Euphonium.

It sounds really nice. I especially liked the duet in the second half when the old recording of your Guitar and the Euph were sharing the spotlight. In the first half, I felt the Guitar was too low in the mix, but that did give the track a more gentle beginning so was actually an effective choice.

Thanks for the background story on the song--Jenny Lind--You bet, Fredrik, I wouldn't be surprised if most people here have heard of The Swedish Nightingale!

It's a wonderful thing also, John, that you breathed new life into your old Guitar track--What a fine project this was, and with very enjoyable results.

Thanks!

Randy
    Randy, I'm sure many Americans know about the Swedish Nightingale just as they also know about the Swedish dramatic Wagner soprano, Brigit Nilsson

Fred

Quote Originally Posted by bigears View Post
    Blott En Dag is a hymn written in 1865 by Lina Sandells (1832-1903) and the music was composed by Oskar Ahnfelt (1813-1882) who wrote the music to all her hymns and traveled Skandinavia performing them with a 10-string guitar. This hymn is said to have been a favorite of Jenny Lind who performed it worldwide.
    I have wanted to do an arrangement for Euphonium for a long time, and mistersynths recent British Brass Band post got me going on this. I took a 5 year old guitar performance I had recorded (when I still had some chops) and added the Solo Euphonium 1 from GCMB. This is a minimalist arrangement with a very simple melody, as I wanted to try the Euphonium out and wanted it to be exposed. I hope this is enjoyed, and all comments are welcome. Thanks!

http://www.box.net/shared/s1g8k2nzkg
    Ears,
    We'll play this sometime when I pass by your way, OK??. Nice work...euph and guitar is, of course, a fine combination...one that composers don't always consider, so +1 for you!
    If I dare to offer one small suggestion...brass players always round off ends of phrases...this can be accomplished by a rolldown of the modwheel at phrase-ending notes and a bit of reverb so the note "drops but doesn't die" and doesn't end abruptly.
    If I have time later on, I will make a recording of the tune to show you what I mean if the verbal info is unclear...so much easier to PLAY music than to talk about it...
    Thanx for writing euphonium music!!
    Jim
    Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    N9EJR
    Indianapolis Brass Choir
    All Your Bass Sus&Short Are Belong to Us.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast