• Register
  • Help

Topic: OT- now I can savely practise the guitar.. outside the house

Share/Bookmark

OT- now I can savely practise the guitar.. outside the house

Re: OT- now I can savely practise the guitar.. outside the house

Wireless Guitar - very cool concept.

When I directed "HAIR" here in town, the lead Guitarist wanted to go wireless so he could wander up the aisle during the big sing-along ending of the show. Great idea - but there he was on opening night, coming down the aisle ready to blow everyone away, and he'd forgotten to turn the gear on. No sound. Too late to run all the way around to backstage to fix things. He had to stand there strumming away to no effect, might as well have been playing Air Guitar!

Randy B.

Peter Gabriel made great use of wireless instruments and mics in the early '80s. They'd enter from the back of the hall and walk up the aisle to the stage, playing a hypnotic percussion rhythm. Later, Gabriel would fall into the crowd and be carried around while singing. Talk about trust!

I saw one of the first and last shows of his Security tour, both in LA. At the first show, at a smallish venue, the people stayed seated and didn't know about the "carry Peter" thing. He ended up walking through the crowd on the backs of their chairs. The crowd was more prepared by the later shows of the tour.

The most amazing thing to me about the first show, however, was how hypnotic it was. Here I am sitting in my chair. Gabriel walks to our side of the stage, looks at us, holds up his palms, and pulls his fingers back about a half inch. The next thing I know I'm in the aisle with everybody else walking toward the stage. I literally don't remember standing up.

After the show, my friend and driver was so entranced that he ran a couple of red lights! Fortunately, downtown LA is all but abandoned late on weekday nights.

Anyway, wireless definitely allows musicians to interact with the crowd, if you choose to do so.

I always had to practice outside the house...
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

http://myspace.com/rmpearl

Go Back to forum