• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: ~~r~e~v~e~r~i~e~~

Arrow ~~r~e~v~e~r~i~e~~

Hi everyone,

I’m back with a new look and a new piece…

It was recorded and then refined in Cubase until I was more or less satisfied with the results...

It seemed I could go on forever with the refinement… lol... and I have to admit that I really enjoy the midi editing process. It has much resemblance to working with clay, which until its first firing can be shaped, reshaped, made wet or dried endless times.

I went for special settings to suit the mood of the piece and encountered numerous problems along the way which really tested my knowledge and patience… but I learned not to hurry and to let go of the problem for a little while, until a solution came up…
    I hope you will enjoy these settings.

I also searched for a special photo and was kindly granted permission to use this one by Ernst Schuetz.

So, without further ado, get a comfortable seat, relax and listen…

Re: ~~r~e~v~e~r~i~e~~

This is a very lovely reverie. It has a wonderful, light and sensitive feel to it. Did you perform it live into a midi file and then tweak it in Cubase? I ask because it has a really nice human touch to the keyboard. As I listen a second time, I feel I am being carried into the picture you have in your post. What a nice quiet place to go to in contemplation, even if it is only in a mental picture. Thankyou for presenting this to our community.
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Quote Originally Posted by sunbird View Post

I’m back with a new look and a new piece…
    Lovely and beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

Jun Yamamoto
    Tokyo, Japan

Central Illinois

Yudit, I can only echo what has already been written, what a gentle and lovely piece you have presented. I especially like the brief minor section about a minute into the piece, and the rippling effect near the end.

The comparision between editing and working with clay is very apt.
    But at some point you have to just let it go, and it is what it is.
    And what this one is, is a most beautiful reverie. Thank you, John

Very nice Yudit.
    Producer ~ Sound Engineer ~ Musician

Very lovely melody, harmonic progressions and rendering
    of your piano. The music really fits your title and the
    picture displayed. Really enjoyed this piano solo very much.

If I had to make any comment on this at all, I would have to
    direct your attention to the "pedalling." Seems a tad bit more
    would help connect your "phrases" and make smoother
    transitions. Just the way I would play it, I guess.

BRAVO, Yudit

Jack Cannon--Toshiba laptop, 2.8 GHz CPU, 1.5 GB RAM, GPO4-JABB3-Auth. STEINWAY-Gofriller CELLO-Stradivari VIOLIN-COMB2-WORLD, FINALE 2009/11, RME Digiface, Cardbus, V-Stack---Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 8, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express.--MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Dublin, Ireland

Congratulations Yudit - I enjoyed your Reverie. You have gone for a very mellow piano sound, which fits the mood and character of the piece admirably.
    And has already been said above, the picture you posted complements what the ear hears.
    So well done!

Charles Baudelaire said this «La faculté de rêverie est une faculté divine et mystérieuse car c'est par le rêve que l'homme communique avec le monde ténébreux dont il est environné.» To dream is a divine way to deal with the dark world that surrounds us....

This music is sublime.... It inspires all kinds of emotions that can not even be described. Congratulations on a fantastic piece. Thank you.
    Kind Regards

Louis Dekker
    My Music Site

Pour être grand, il faut avoir été petit.

That is a nice piece of music Yudit,
    wonderful playing, and I totally agree with Jack about using the sustain pedal at the end of certain phrases to connect with the next chord for a smoother legato sound.

Just a few things if I may, I am mentioning the following things as helpful criticism from the sound. You have chosen to significantly cut back on some "high-end" equalization (treble), but since there is no reverb, it is very un-natural to be this close to the piano, and have such a muted sound.

This sounds like the Garritan Steinway Basic version (microphones inside the piano), but you really need to use some reverb. I feel like I am inside the piano, as opposed to standing near it. The tuning is different than the default Garritan Steinway tuning, hmmm

There is also something else negatively affecting the sound, like a gate is closing down, or the volume is radically being lowered prematurely while notes are supposed to be decaying naturally.

Lovely playing and writing.

It is so nice to hear a piece of music here that is actually played,
    and not ejected from a midi file which is typically quantized and has no regard for a variety of dynamics.

I would love to hear this piece recorded with the sound you achieved in your
    Liadov- Prelude

Hi, Yudit - It's so nice to have a new piece from you. "Reverie" is very aptly titled. Listening to it definitely had me in a reverie. Extremely pretty composition and so well performed.

The note on pedaling is very helpful I think. I concur. And Dan gave you some very constructive feedback on the recording. I hope you see what he means - This is sounding unlike a Piano could ever sound in the Real World. Dan's description that the effect is as if we're inside the Piano is exactly right. Remember that reverb doesn't need to be heard - just enough needs to be added so that our virtual instruments have a natural ambience added to them, as they sound in physical reality.

I wonder what all the "special settings" are that you were using in Cubase? Perhaps some of them are what resulted in this unnaturally dry sound. But getting a good recording with a soft synth Piano is a fairly straight-forward proposition. Edit the velocities as needed, and give it some kind of reverb air around it - and it works.

Beautiful music. I hope the technical notes on the thread are helpful to you.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast