• Register
  • Help

Topic: Giga 3 & GVI question

Share/Bookmark

Giga 3 & GVI question

I had pretty much retired Giga; I use Kontakt for pretty much everything and have converted all of my giga libraries to Kontakt format, but since I still have Giga and GVI on my slave, I thought maybe it would be nice to use them for the giga libraries like Sonic Implant Symphonic Strings.

So I fired up VSTack first and loaded GVI. It worked fine, was stable, but the first thing I noticed is it doesn't support program channel changes. Did they ever fix that issue in GVI? GVI is kind of useless to me without that. So I thought about creating ketswitched instruments, but to do that, I would have to do it in Giga 3. One other thing about GVI is it has an icon with GigPulse but it is not enabled. Can you use Giga 3's GigaPulse in VSTack with GVI or do you have to have the standalone version of GigaPulse?

So I booted up Giga 3. For some reason, I can now only load 1 instrument into Giga. If I try to load a 2nd instrument, it says there was an unknown system error. Can't figure that one out as last time I booted up Giga 3 (which was quite a while ago), it worked just fine. I have the 3.1 update which I believe was the last one released. Correct? I am going to try it again and make sure that absolutely everything is turned off besides Giga. (It is a P4, 3.0 Ghz with 3 Gb RAM and XP Pro so I never had any resource problems running Giga 3 in the past.) In the hour or so I played around with it, I got the blue screen of death 3 times; something I haven't seen in a while and something that has never happened with Kontakt.

So I am about ready to say screw it with Giga and just delete it from my system. Kind of sad really.

Re: Giga 3 & GVI question

Hey Leon,

Not sure about your system error, but that message usually indicates that you need to tweak your RAM in the Giga system settings (do this from the configuration manager in Start|Tascam|Gigastudio...without Giga running. Run the test, pick a setting, reboot, try it. There are lots of old threads here about RAM management in GS3.

The latest update is 3.21. Works great for me. Should still be on Tascam's site.

You can only use Gigapulse in GVI when a preset is encoded to an instrument, and unfortunately, in GVI the gigapulse can only use single-source placements, and routing is not terribly flexible as in GS3. See this thread for discussion on encoding:

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ight=gigapulse

Regards,
    Belbin

Thanks for the help! I'll give it a try.

Belbin,

I installed 3.21 and configured the memory as you suggested. Everything is working 100% better now. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Kaatza Music View Post
    Belbin,

I installed 3.21 and configured the memory as you suggested. Everything is working 100% better now. Thanks!
    Rock 'n' Roll

Belbin

BTW, there's a rumor that there will be some Giga news soon. I don't know any details, but if something happens, it can only be good.

Quote Originally Posted by JonFairhurst View Post
    BTW, there's a rumor that there will be some Giga news soon. I don't know any details, but if something happens, it can only be good.

I hope so. Does anyone know where I can get a copy of GVI???

You may want to try the San Diego , or the Hallandale, Florida Guitar Centers.
    They are blowing them out for $79.97.

Tom

Go Back to forum