• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Six Studies in English Folk Song - Vaughan Williams

Share/Bookmark

Six Studies in English Folk Song - Vaughan Williams

Well, I've not been doing much musically for quite some time. With being ill for a while and other things, I haven't felt much like playing piano, and not very inspired to compose.

Partly as a kind of therapy, I have made this recording of me playing a favorite work of mine - Vaughan Williams' Six Studies in English Folk Song. In this recording, I have used an English Horn rather than the 'cello - I heard it performed like that once and thought it sounded great. Plus I think the GPO English Horn is excellent and was just crying out to be used in this!

Samples used:

• English Horn Solo 1 from GPO
    • GAS Classical perspective.

My apologies that I am not posting anything of my own composition, but hope you enjoy this work nonetheless. It certainly seems to have helped me get back into the saddle.

Here it is:

http://www.box.net/shared/uke0035an1

Regards
    Owen

Re: Six Studies in English Folk Song - Vaughan Williams

"I am told that when grapevines were first cultivated in California the vineyard masters used to try the experiment of importing plants from France or Italy and setting them in their own soil. The result was that the grapes acquired a peculiar individual flavor, so strong was the influence of the soil in which they were planted. I think I need hardly draw the moral of this, namely, that if the roots of your art are firmly planted in your own soil and that soil has anything individual to give you, you may still gain the whole world and not lose your own soul."

Ralph Vaughan Williams

His own admonition on the setting of folksongs was that they be "treated with love," and so they are. Thanks, englishgent, for your gentle and lovely piece.
    John

I have always liked this piece, and even coached a duo on this once. I agree, the English horn is a great substitute/alternative to the cello.

Beautiful job!

Hope your health is returning.

All the best from and American Gent...
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

http://myspace.com/rmpearl

This is excellent to see you in The Listening Room again, Owen! Thanks for the udpates about you and your returning health and good spirits.

What a wonderful project to help pull yourself up - The Williams arrangement is so nice, and your Garritan-driven realization of it sounds simply wonderful. SO true about how especially good the English Horn in GPO sounds.

Thanks much for this. I found it a very inspiring thing to listen to.

Randy B.

Crackerjack job, Mr. Englishman! Masterfully handled. The English horn and Steinway sound good. I really enjoyed it. You Brits certainly know how to make a great horn.

Hope you feel better soon, old chap.

Best Regards,
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

These are very nicely done. There is much feeling and care put into these songs.

They have been good therapy for my stress also.

I hope you can get back to 100% soon Owen.

Phil

Thanks for the encouraging comments, everyone!

John: A very interesting quote from RVW. I have no doubt that in my case, my upbringing in England and NW Scotland have greatly affected not just my musical sensibility, but also my spirit. I'm glad you enjoyed the work.

Ron: Thanks for the compliment and well wishes. I appreciate it.

Randy: Thanks for the warm welcome! It means a lot. I'm glad you found the piece inspiring, and appreciate the compliments.

Larry: Am I right in saying that the English Horn is neither English nor a horn? Over there they call it the Cor Anglais. Those brits, they have their own word for everything! Many thanks for the words of encouragement.

Phil: I'm glad it helped you. A spot of Vaughan Williams usually works wonders with me when under stress. Thanks for the well wishes.

This was a real treat Owen, for which, many thanks my friend.

The piano is played with perfection and the GPO English horn fits this very well - a great combination that brings out the best in RVW with all its lyrical simplicity and in other ways, complexity.

Regards, Graham

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamKeitch View Post
    This was a real treat Owen, for which, many thanks my friend.

The piano is played with perfection and the GPO English horn fits this very well - a great combination that brings out the best in RVW with all its lyrical simplicity and in other ways, complexity.

Regards, Graham
    Many thanks, Graham. You're right about simplicity vs complexity - I thought "This will be a nice easy one to do to get me started", then discovered it was not quite so easy. I think I enjoyed it all the more though as I discovered more in it than I had previously realized.

Owen

Owen,

Outstanding job of pulling off this lovely RVW work!!! I think that the English Horn is just the ticket for this work instead of the cello.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast