• Register
  • Help

Topic: Oscars

California Redwoods

Well, I don't usually have an interest in Oscars, but tonight was a first for me. It is the only time that a person portraying a man I knew won an Oscar for best actor. I have not yet seen the film, probably won't for a few more days, so I can't comment on it for accuracy or content, but as I remember from the book, some strategic material was omitted. I am thinking of Harvey's association with Ray Broshears, in particular, a meeting which took place before the election. Last that I could verify,2 of the 5 persons at that meeting are still alive, one of them being me. Well, it will be an interesting experience to see a movie about the times and places of my past.

Re: Oscars

I haven't seen the movie either but congrats to Sean Penn, et al. I hear it's a fine film. I hope that it was faithful to your memories.
    In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.

http://reberclark.blogspot.com http://reberclark.bandcamp.com http://www.youtube.com/reberclark

West Seneca, NY

Talking Re: Oscars

Oscar who?

Ive been out of the loop for the last 10 days (skiiing ) what have i missed? who won what for what and did they deserve it?!

Well Heath Ledger certainly deserved it - I'd have given him Best Actor - let's face it, Christian Bale was the supporting actor in that one.

I don't recall a Ray, but Harvey Dent turned out to be one tough cookie. Was your meeting pre or post Two-Face?

Seriously, it must have been a great thing to be a part of such a movement. I've not seen Milk yet, but it is on the short list. I just caught Slumdog Millionaire and I think it was very deserving for best picture.

We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

It's cool, Richard, that you knew him. I thought the film was fantastic and the score, too. Very different and subtle for Elfman. And the subject is so timely.

Budleigh Salterton

Yeah - Oscars, Emmys, Baftas etc etc etc are all meaningless drivel.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulR View Post
    Not if you compare the royalty checks from films that won to those from similar films that didn't get nominated.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulR View Post
    But I still want one.

Go Back to forum