• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: An Introduction to the Desert

An Introduction to the Desert

WOW! It's been a while since I've posted anything! Well, with the aquisition of a new laptop, and transfering all my goodies from my old computer to this one, plus the usual school and work, I've been hard pressed to find the time to write

It also seems that with my new laptop (with Windows Vista) I have no easy access to a WAV to MP3 converter. If anyone has a suggestion of where to download a simple converter for these file types, I'd be glad to hear it.

So, for now, it's left in a WAV file and is therefore a lot quieter than most of my file uploads.

About the song...

For those of you who remember my "Views from an Ethereal" post about a year ago, this song follows the same principle: an intangible being takes a path through various scenes.

Right now, since I've been striving to post something, I just have the first scene in the series: A Desert, towards the evening hours (not to be confused with Dessert )

So, like I said, this is on Box.net, which I normally don't use (have nothing against it, i just found Soundclick first). I don't believe you can use the Box.net player because it is still in WAV format, gonna double check that when I finish this post, but I appologize for the hastle of having to download the file.

As always, I love all the comments you guys usually post, so I thank you in advance

A big thanks to bigears for providing this playable link!

Michael Obermeyer, Jr.
    youtube channel
    soundclick page

Re: An Introduction to the Desert

Welcome back!

For the tech. question, I use iTunes for conversion. But if you Google it you'll find TONS of programs.

A wonderful picture here! Lush opening with mysterious and powerful brass work. Nice lower wind textures too! Is this part of a bigger work?
    Thanks for sharing it!

"...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music

Thumbs up Re: An Introduction to the Desert

Nice orchestral intro, Michael,

Look forward to hear whats coming next.

The sound wav file was too low, so I boosted it 12db in my Adobe Audition sound editor. After I did the amplification it sounded more accurate of the orchestra's natural volume.

Thanks for posting,

Central Illinois

Hi Michael, I downloaded your wav, normalized it with SoundForge, and converted it to a 256 kbps mp3. I re-posted it on my boxnet page here:

If you want, download it and get it on the start of this thread and onto your site, otherwise it's there if someone wants to hear or download it at 2.9 MB.

If the memory and processor spec on your computer will handle it, you can grab the free Audacity program here:

Be sure and download the lame encoder you will need to export MP3's.

Michael, this brief orchestration really has a lot of promise. Hope you find time to develop this one. Thanks, John

Thanks a lot for the iTunes suggestion, I've never used it, but I'll definitely look into. And yes, this is simply the first part of the song. I wouldn't even consider it a movement, since it's not meant to be detatched from the rest of the work, I just found a decent stopping point to give a transition to the next part, which I'll post when it's finished

Yeah, the WAV file always comes out quieter than the MP3 file I usually share with this forum. I typically have my Media player's volume setting near 0, but with this file, I have to play it at max to have the same volume I intended. Btw, the strings start at "pp" to at least give you something of a reference...even though interpretation of dynamic markings can vary

Again, thanks a bundle for sharing that file, and I'll most definitely look into that program. My laptop is pretty current, so I would hope it'd be able to handle any recent program As far as the piece, yes, I still need to smooth out what I have, and then I'll probably be expanding on it very soon. I have a couple ideas of what scenes will be introduced next, so I hope it's interesting for everyone

Thanks everyone for your comments!
    Michael Obermeyer, Jr.
    youtube channel
    soundclick page

Very nice writing, but MORE!!! I know you said this is an intro and you definitely left me wanting to hear more.

Keep us posted.

As far as the lower volume, my suspicion is this is coming from Finale perhaps? If so, you probably have the default Ambience settings which will result in a totally wet and quiet sounding wave file.

Steve Winkler

Excellent - Powerful, atmospheric, controlled in an intelligent way - I love what you've done, sanyarem.

Glad people have helped out with the MP3 converter question - there's no problem using one on Vista. I'm glad I have one handy in Sonar.

I thought Box could play .wav files like MP3s---?

I used BigEars useful new link, so didn't investigate the previous one.

Interesting that you said your original file was lower in volume because it's a .wav file - That shouldn't be the case. Maximizing volume in a .wav file is necessary Before you make the MP3, otherwise you're boosting too low of a signal and degrading the MP3 even more than it already is. Hummm.

THANks for the great music.

Randy B.

I listened to this just before going to school today and was sorry it was over so quick.

I do look forward to more.

I use Audacity (with the Lame encoder) right now to convert my wav files to MP3's and loved the price (free) and I think it does a fine job of it.

Be careful of iTunes as it can be a very invasive program.

Great start on this

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

Shelton, Washington State

You have a great beginning to something here. I hope you get the time to continue with this. As it is it's very well realized.

I hope to here more from you.

Thanks, my hope is to keep you wanting more

As far as the low volume, yes, I feel the result is from the Finale "save to audio file" feature. I typically always adjust the default Garritan Ambience, because like you said, it's far too muffled. Thanks for your post, I'll update this as soon as I can!

Glad you like what I have so far!

I wouldn't consider my self a Box.net connosieur (pardon the spelling), so it's very likely it does have a WAV player that I did not take the time to figure out As far as the low volume on the WAV, like I told swinkler, my only guess is that it's the process Finale uses to convert a Finale file to an Audio File. There may be a way within Finale to adjust the output, but I've not looked into it, I merely accepted it as a fact of life! Thanks again, your advice is always helpful.

Thanks for the listen! Yes, I checked out Audacity, have yet to install it, haven't had the chance the past few days. I'm not sure I'd want to use iTunes because I know it has a lot of nifty features besides audio conversion, and I'm really just looking for a relatively small application to get the job done, thanks again

I hope to have the time to finish this as well, thanks for the listen! I usually find it easier to write something when I feel comfortable with the flow of the piece and understand the direction it's taking. Nothing is more natural to me than having a sense of purpose
    Michael Obermeyer, Jr.
    youtube channel
    soundclick page

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast