• Register
  • Help

Topic: Electric Guitars and Orchestral Music

Share/Bookmark
    PatS

Electric Guitars and Orchestral Music

In light of the various posts about electric guitar samples, I couldn\'t help but wonder how many of you use them in an orchestral setting. I just listened to Steven Mackey\'s thoroughly amusing \"Tuck and Roll\" and felt a twinge of inspiration, if not an urge to get a strat library sooner than later.

Pat

P.S. I love this description of Mackey\'s music (from Classical Net Review): \"Imagine a Bugs Bunny cartoon jointly scored by Frank Zappa and Charles Ives, and that will give you some idea of Steve Mackey’s unusual gifts.\"

Re: Electric Guitars and Orchestral Music

I\'m starting to do some \'new-age\' (old age???) sort-of-orchestral stuff (meaning-with strings!) that should prominently feature lead guitar in sections, but not real orchestral writing. Film scores should be full of it, I\'d think (guitar, that is! )

Dasher

then there\'s goobers like me who will heavily distorted Rock and roll riffs over/under big orchestral stuff. kinda fun

If I really were to \"write\" a \"piece\" of music that have movements. I\'d probably do alot of \"F/X\" with a lightly distorted guitar playing whammy bar bends into notes. with alot of tempo timed delay. Would be pretty cool.

------------------
    Really...I am an Idiot

Elec. guitar in an orchestral settings doesn\'t have to result in Symphnonic Rock music per se!

Apart from using elec. guitar in an orchestral setting as a lead, it also blends in wonderfully playing \"distorted\" power chords, mixed in softly (very softly!) and mildly EQ\'ed. John Powell often does this; listen to his Face/Off score, for example.

Maarten

Hey Maarten,

This John Powell?
    http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/175/john_powell.html

(LOL!)

Peter,

I think he had another John Powell in mind!

...... However, the photo looks like it was taken somewhere in the UK, so perhaps!?!?!!?!

Thanks for making me smile, I really needed it today. I actually thought it read king of the SHRED guitar and was expecting some late eighties Yngwie Malmsteen redux....

Douiwee,

Didier Rachou

PatS

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Maarten Spruijt:
    Elec. guitar in an orchestral settings doesn\'t have to result in Symphnonic Rock music per se!

Apart from using elec. guitar in an orchestral setting as a lead, it also blends in wonderfully playing \"distorted\" power chords, mixed in softly (very softly!) and mildly EQ\'ed. John Powell often does this; listen to his Face/Off score, for example.

Maarten
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I\'m definitely NOT referring to Symphonic Rock (eeesh). Mackey\'s \"Tuck and Roll\" is in the post-tonal Classical tradition with a strong bent toward eclecticism. Nonetheless, I do hear allusions to Eric Clapton. Check it out. It\'s a fun piece, assuming you can live without tonics, subdominants, and dominant sevenths.

BTW, thanks for the pointer to John Powell (Media Ventures, right?).

Pat

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR> assuming you can live without tonics, subdominants, and dominant sevenths. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Subdominants and dominant sevenths, yes. But TONICS? MyGawd, what would my hair do???

Dasher

> BTW, thanks for the pointer to John Powell
    > (Media Ventures, right?).

Media Ventures alright

The Filmscoring Masters of Production on this planet

Go Back to forum