• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Rimsky-Korsakow Capriccio Espagnol for Saxophone Ensemble ala CMB

Share/Bookmark

Rimsky-Korsakow Capriccio Espagnol for Saxophone Ensemble ala CMB

Rimsky-Korsakow's Capriccio Espagnol is one of his finest works for many aspects. It is a five movement work based on Spanish melodies; Alborada, is a festive and exciting dance, Variazioni (variations of the first melody), Alborada from the first movement, Scena e canto gitano ("Scene and gypsey song") and Fandango asturiano.

This particular setting of Capriccio Espagnol from which I wrote the arrangment, is Rimsky-Korsakow's own piano transcription of the orchestral work. The arrangement is set for large saxophone chamber orchestra and uses all CMB saxophones except for the sopranino from the JABB library.

Sopranino
    Soprano 1 & 2
    Alto 1-3
    Tenor 1 & 2
    Baritone
    Bass

http://www.garybricault.com/mp3/Capr...spagnolSax.mp3

This work is being performed on March 4th by the Saxophone Ensemble of Northwestern University, Evanston, IL.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Re: Rimsky-Korsakow Capriccio Espagnol for Saxophone Ensemble ala CMB

Hi Gary, Nice arrangement, the sax's work nicely on this. Congratulations on having your work performed! Will you be there, or get to hear a recording?
    Thanks for sharing this, interesting that there are two versions up right now.
    John

Hello, Gary!

It's cheering to see you're still doing these wonderful Sax transcriptions and that the Sax Ensemble is still performing them.

This sounds just great. Thanks!

Randy B.

Quote Originally Posted by bigears View Post
    Hi Gary, Nice arrangement, the sax's work nicely on this. Congratulations on having your work performed! Will you be there, or get to hear a recording?
    Thanks for sharing this, interesting that there are two versions up right now.
    John
    Thanks John. It is a stunning work that transcribes very well. Even given many technical challanges the outcome is remarkable. And the CMB libraries are a huge plus in the process.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    Hello, Gary!

It's cheering to see you're still doing these wonderful Sax transcriptions and that the Sax Ensemble is still performing them.

This sounds just great. Thanks!

Randy B.
    Randy,

Thanks for your kind comments. I have two college ensembles performing my works in the next few weeks. It is very exciting to hear this music actually performed. The CMB library makes it so easy to "sell" the concept to the ensembles.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

A very lively and entertaining arrangement and rendering - I hope you're able to post a recording of the March 4 performance as well!

-Chris
    There is the music of Johann Sebastian Bach. Therefore there must be a God. You either get this one or you don't - Kreeft & Tacelli
    The will to achieve is not sufficient. Some things should not be achieved. - Rimsky-Korsakov
    Musicians are just these guys that want to make music. Okay, they want to have a wonderful lifestyle, but the majority just want to make really great music. - Jon Anderson

Gary

It was interesting to hear the 2 different takes that have been posted here on this work.

R-K is one of my favorite composers, so I enjoyed them both.

great to hear that your pieces are getting performed as well.

Nicely done

Ron
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

http://composersforum.ning.com/profile/RonaldFerguson

The saxes really do a fine job with this music.

It's a super arrangement of a not easy piece.

Enjoy the performance.

Phil

Thanks Gary, I enjoyed this.

I'm not familiar with the original score although your arrangement here and choice of voices is a perfect fit and will make for a great live performance. The sax ensemble creates an authentic flamenco atmosphere which comes as a bit of a surprise - but it really does work well!

Regards,

Graham

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamKeitch View Post
    Thanks Gary, I enjoyed this.

I'm not familiar with the original score although your arrangement here and choice of voices is a perfect fit and will make for a great live performance. The sax ensemble creates an authentic flamenco atmosphere which comes as a bit of a surprise - but it really does work well!

Regards,

Graham
    Just in case you're curious, the "original score" is right here
    http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ad.php?t=65137

-Chris
    There is the music of Johann Sebastian Bach. Therefore there must be a God. You either get this one or you don't - Kreeft & Tacelli
    The will to achieve is not sufficient. Some things should not be achieved. - Rimsky-Korsakov
    Musicians are just these guys that want to make music. Okay, they want to have a wonderful lifestyle, but the majority just want to make really great music. - Jon Anderson

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast