• Register
  • Help

Topic: A new article about my musical Rivertown

Share/Bookmark

A new article about my musical Rivertown

My local paper interviewed me about Rivertown.

I was pleased with how it turned out.

Charles
    http://www.tribtown.com/articles/mom...n_musical.html
    MacPro 2.66 - Tiger & Snow Leopard / 16GB RAM / several TB of HD space/ Garritan Libraries / EWQLSO Platinum PLAY / Omnisphere/ Kontakt 2 & 3 / Finale 2010 /DP5/ a VERY patient wife!

Re: A new article about my musical Rivertown

Great article, Charles! - Wonderful stuff. Gives the reader a good idea of how your musical is simply "A Capital Idea"---!

Randy B.

Outstanding and fully deserved!!
    Snor
    Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    N9EJR
    Indianapolis Brass Choir
    All Your Bass Sus&Short Are Belong to Us.

It really is exciting, Charles. I said to Kate I wish I could hop on a plane to be there in October for the show. Alas, funds are insufficient for such a jaunt. But we'll be watching from afar, which means you gotta tell us more as the opening grows nigh, and then while the show runs.

Yeah!

Randy

Your faithful correspondent Snorlax plans to sneak in and attend if at all possible, though he has been banned from venues ranging from Chicago to Louisville.
    Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    N9EJR
    Indianapolis Brass Choir
    All Your Bass Sus&Short Are Belong to Us.

Thumbs up Re: A new article about my musical Rivertown

Congrats to you, Charles! That's is a great first post to read after being away from to forum for too long. I hope it runs all summer ( and beyond), and that work schedule permits me to drift up to Rivertown to see it.

David

Nice article. Advance publicity is always a good thing!

I hope the musical is progressing well. I still hope to come hear it if my schedule permits.
    Dan Powers
    www.danielpowers.info

"It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

Congratulations Charles!

Terrific article and a good preview of what is coming. To undertake such a project that combines all your talents must be exciting. 22 songs! Yikes

May Rivertown be a great success!

All the best,

Gary

Thanks for the comments and well wishing.
    If I had the "normal" number of songs in this show I would be done about now. But as we put the show together, all of these songs seems needed to tell the story of Madison. I have been slowed down lately because I am back to writing songs - the first act songs were all written and waiting to be orchestrated. Now as I complete the 2nd act - I am writing songs again, though I have written most of the lyrics. Some of the songs are rather short, so don't think that all 22 are 5 - 6 minute songs.

With so many songs, I have to be watchful that none sound too much alike. I had a little problem with that with two songs, but worked it out. James Taylor (one of my favorites) can do that a lot, but I can't afford that within one show. The show is definitely a throw back to the old R & H shows - not comparing myself to those great guys. Rivertown is definitely a sweet and for the most part, sentimental show that the citizens of Madison will enjoy.

Regardless, I am pleased with how it is going, but I have a mountain of work still ahead - and of course there is life - my day job, etc. Much better than having nothing to do and I am hopeful it will be well received so I can then write future big shows.

The Indiana Bicentennial is looming ahead and that is what I want to get ready for after Rivertown is done.
    MacPro 2.66 - Tiger & Snow Leopard / 16GB RAM / several TB of HD space/ Garritan Libraries / EWQLSO Platinum PLAY / Omnisphere/ Kontakt 2 & 3 / Finale 2010 /DP5/ a VERY patient wife!

Interesting. Somehow the Indiana Bicentennial hasn't been on my radar till now. Of course, it isn't till 2016, so there's time.

Hopefully, the bicentennial will translate into opportunities for us Hoosier composers!
    Dan Powers
    www.danielpowers.info

"It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

Go Back to forum