• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Omnisphere Patch Loading Time Comparison USB drive vs internal

Share/Bookmark

Omnisphere Patch Loading Time Comparison USB drive vs internal

Hi,

I installed the Omnisphere sample files on an external USB drive (HFS+ journaled). I experience typical loading times of 5 to 10 secs for patches. Would I gain much better values if I'd install the soundfiles on the internal HD? If yes, what you be the recommended way to reorganize the librabry without messing things up?

Thanks for your help!

Armin
    Imac 2.16 4GB Logic Pro 7 OSX10.5.6

Re: Omnisphere Patch Loading Time Comparison USB drive vs internal

Omnisphere streams samples from the hd as opposed to rmx which loads them into ram.
    A usb drive will not allow you to use Omnisphere even at it's minimum capabilites.
    Using a seperate non usb drive will be the best solution. You could put it on your internal but it's always better to have samples streaming on their own drive.

I have the Omnisphere library installed on an internal second drive...and there is a usual loading time of up to 5 seconds...sometimes more...which is OK.

The system: 2ghz dualcore mac G5 PPC and 4,5 gb RAM and I think a 7200RPM HD

ok, thanks for the reply. Seems that its not worth the effort as I seem to get loading times in the same range. Anybody with Imac 2.16 and internal HD just to compare?

@slinky: hm, I am working on external usb already and it seems very much ok for me. I can load numerous instances of Omnisphere in parallel and everthing works smoothly. (I am only suffering from the "cold-cup-of-coffee-syndrom" as somebody else mentioned elsewhere ... :-) ) Just wanted to make sure, whether internal hd speed makes a significant difference

Thanks,
    Armin
    Imac 2.16 4GB Logic Pro 7 OSX10.5.6

Quote Originally Posted by slinky View Post
    Omnisphere streams samples from the hd as opposed to rmx which loads them into ram.
    A usb drive will not allow you to use Omnisphere even at it's minimum capabilites.
    Using a seperate non usb drive will be the best solution. You could put it on your internal but it's always better to have samples streaming on their own drive.
    Actually that's not entirely true - I have used Omnisphere quite happily on a Macbook Air with an external Lacie 120GB 5400RPM USB 2 drive and it works fine. Ok I can't run multiple instances of Omni but up to 8 is ok.

Of course a firewire 400 or 800 or eSata external drive would be even better especially one running at 7200RPM.

Cheers

Tim

I come from a pc perspective. It's quite possible performance is better on a mac.
    Systems will vary....

Actually, you have the option of disabling DFD (should you choose to or need to) so it can be run entirely in RAM, just like RMX. Some of the patches are too large for this to be practical though.

I wish I had known this recently when I installed Omni on my MacBook Pro....RMX also.

Because of the annoying fact that I only have a 160G drive in the laptop and that it is getting up there...I wanted to install the libraries on an external Firewire drive I had partitioned for this purpose...1/2 Audio drive and 1/2 sample library storage.

But when I went to install it said....YOU MUST HAVE ALL THE DISCS IN THE SAME LOCATION. I was under the impression the actual app wanted to be on the Mac HD.

So what is the deal?

Can I remove the library and place it on this external 7200 RPM Firewire drive?
    2.66GHz MacPro Quad|6GB RAM|OSX10.6.4| 2.4 GHz MacBook Pro|4GB RAM|OSX 10.6.4|Pro Tools 9 w/CPTK|Digi 002R, Eleven Rack, MBox2 Mini|Garritan-GPO4, J&BB| Reason 4|Spectrasonics-Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian|Drumcore3, Discrete Drums|Toontrack-Superior Drummer, EZ Drummer|Sibelius 6|Izotope-Ozone4, RX2|String Studio|EastWest-Silk, VOP, Symphonic Choirs, RA, Gypsy, Stormdrum2, Fab Four|Reaper|

Sure....this is covered in the support area of the site and in the Ref Guides.

On a side note....I just installed a 500gb drive in my MBP...works great with Omnisphere! :-)

Was only about $160 bucks too!

Go Back to forum