• Register
  • Help

Topic: Slightly OT: Where do samples load?

Share/Bookmark

Slightly OT: Where do samples load?

When I open a virtual instrument (AU, VST, RTAS, etc.) in Logic, or any DAW, a little thing shows up saying that its loading samples. Where are they loading to(RAM?)? I'm not a computer techie, so I don't know much about anything when it comes to this stuff - but I'm just curious.
    -Keith Fuller

http://keithfullermusic.com
    ---
    iMac Quad i7 * MacBook Pro * Logic Studio 9 * WD 320GB & 1TB Externals@7,200RPM * Presonus Firebox * M-Audio Axiom 25 & Keystation 61 * Rode NT1-A * Epiphone Hollowbody * Fender Amp * KRK Rokit 8's

Re: Slightly OT: Where do samples load?

Yep... RAM

Might be more complicated, especially if you're doing direct-from-disk or something, but for the most part it's just loading samples from hard disk to RAM.
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Thats what i thought. whats the benefit of DFD if any?
    -Keith Fuller

http://keithfullermusic.com
    ---
    iMac Quad i7 * MacBook Pro * Logic Studio 9 * WD 320GB & 1TB Externals@7,200RPM * Presonus Firebox * M-Audio Axiom 25 & Keystation 61 * Rode NT1-A * Epiphone Hollowbody * Fender Amp * KRK Rokit 8's

I guess the main benefit is that the sample size can be larger and you don't have to worry about cramming it all onto RAM. It's supposed to be faster too, but I haven't fooled around with it enough myself to really compare.
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

One of two scenarios can occur. You can load all of an instrument's samples into RAM or you can load just the first couple of samples required for each instrument and then stream the rest Direct From Disk. That way, there's much less RAM usage per instrument and you can use a greater number of instruments. It might be helpful to keep in mind that data is streamed sequentially. With DFD, the first samples in the series are loaded and then the OS knows where to find the rest and calls them as needed. Think of a grocery store. Instead of putting all the soup cans in your cart at once, you're given one can and told that all the rest are on aisle 5 if you need some more.
    Paul Baker
    Baker's Jazz And More
    Austin, Texas, USA
    www.bakersjazzandmore.com

I would think that the next obvious question would be:

How does GPO in Kontakt 2 player load its samples and can you change from loading all to memory or DFD? Also how will ARIA handle loading of samples?
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

AHH! That explains it. I'm always in some kind of soup or another when slurping around in composition.
    tony h
    tony h
    Master Comp. P5 deluxe intel dual core, Windows XP Pro, 4G ram, HD's=OS Audio, two samples, Cubase 3/4 , GVI Kirk Hunter Concert strings, KH Concert brass, Emerald, Miroslav strings, brass, Quantum Leap brass. DAW and Master comp by pcaudiolabs- Slave Comp for VI only, Gigabyte Intel ,8G ram, ethernet, Windows Vista Ultimatex64, VI Ensemble,VI SE Appasionata strings.

Quote Originally Posted by RichR View Post
    I would think that the next obvious question would be:

How does GPO in Kontakt 2 player load its samples and can you change from loading all to memory or DFD? Also how will ARIA handle loading of samples?
    You have a certain amount of control over that within the K2 Player. If you're not using many samples, or not using large samples, then it's to your advantage to load them all into RAM where they're immediately accessible instead of having to go to the HD and retrieve them. I think this is the method GPO defaults to, but I don't know that for sure. As for ARIA, you'll have to ask Gary about that. My guess is that, in my limited understanding, those are the only two options. The "magic" occurs in how the engine (ARIA or K2 Player) handles all those transactions.
    Paul Baker
    Baker's Jazz And More
    Austin, Texas, USA
    www.bakersjazzandmore.com

Go Back to forum