• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Some Experimenting with My New Steinway

Share/Bookmark

Some Experimenting with My New Steinway

I just started using the Steinway library the other day, and let me say it is amazing. It inspired me to write some pieces for the piano and I thought I'd do a little experimenting with it.

This starts off with the sustain only:

I played a suspended chord then transfered it to audio and cut the attack. I then time stretched it so it was about twice as long and reversed the sample. So what you're hearing at the start sounds like a synth pad, but a little more natural. Then I did some other little things like EQ sweeps to bring some overtones in and out, and as it got louder I slowly dropped the wet channel and raised the dry. I also time stretched some violin trills then added some ambient city noises and other non-effected instruments. I even added some out of tune bells at times

Anyway, I tried to capture my old neighborhood in Chicago. It seemed a little chaotic at times, but really it was just a neighborhood with regular people and some interesting stories to go along with it.

The piece starts off a bit random, then goes into some pretty traditional writing (Piano and strings). I'm warning you that it starts off very quiet then gets pretty dag-gone loud for a second before going into the regular section. But enough of my jibber jabber.

The Old Neighborhood
    -Keith Fuller

http://keithfullermusic.com
    ---
    iMac Quad i7 * MacBook Pro * Logic Studio 9 * WD 320GB & 1TB Externals@7,200RPM * Presonus Firebox * M-Audio Axiom 25 & Keystation 61 * Rode NT1-A * Epiphone Hollowbody * Fender Amp * KRK Rokit 8's

Re: Some Experimenting with My New Steinway

Way cool
    Producer ~ Sound Engineer ~ Musician

http://www.myspace.com/451525581

Hi Keith, Wow, this is a great treatment! I really like the weird little intro with the voices filtering in, and then the sudden change into the very pretty piano section with the strings adding just the right touch. Very nice work on this!
    John

Hi Keith, lovely piece.

I thought the loud bit would be a lot louder!

Which version of the Piano do you have?

Thanks for listening guys. I have been sooooooo busy lately and I haven't had time to listen to other people's stuff in the listening room lately. I think that this weekend I'll spend an hour or two going through everything.

Hippie - I thought you might appreciate the weirdness going on at the start.

John - I actually wrote the piece first then thought it needed a strange intro that sort of juxtaposed it, but still connected. Then I just started having some fun with my samples and decided to stretch things out. I tried to make it sound natural, and not very synthy so I added a french horn, strings, and a non-effected piano.

The piano and strings together is me trying to sound like Thomas Newman (man his stuff is good), but fortunately I think I was still able to make it sound like my own.

Alan - I'm using the new Basic, so its under the hood. I actually made the intro clip out to give it a distorted sound right at the climax, but I lowered the mids and lows then to make sure it didn't get too crazy. I can always make it louder if that's what you want!

Also, I sent you a private message about a week ago with my Outback piece. I was curious if you got it?

Anyway, thanks for listening.
    -Keith Fuller

http://keithfullermusic.com
    ---
    iMac Quad i7 * MacBook Pro * Logic Studio 9 * WD 320GB & 1TB Externals@7,200RPM * Presonus Firebox * M-Audio Axiom 25 & Keystation 61 * Rode NT1-A * Epiphone Hollowbody * Fender Amp * KRK Rokit 8's

Really nice experimenting, Keith - Very unusual piece for The Listening Room, or Anywhere really! I love hearing/seeing people having fun with their music. I found this very effective--and I only have one complaint--It stops when it's just getting started!

MORE please--?

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by keithjfuller View Post
    I sent you a private message about a week ago with my Outback piece. I was curious if you got it?
    Hi Keith, I did you send you a response, I checked my outbox and found it and also found that it had failed to get to you at the address specified.

This is what I wrote on the 17th:
    --------------------------------
    Hi Keith,

Just listened to your Outback piece.

LOVED IT.

It connotes to me the isolation of the outback, the scorched earth, the isolated birds.

The sound production is wonderful, especially considering you say it is not finished being mixed. (It sounded a little left-heavy)

I do not want to suggest to you how to write the piece, but don't let those people on the forum prevent you from using the didgeridoo more centrally. What you have is great, so I am not suggesting the change, only "welcoming you" to explore more prominence there.

If you do want to give that indigenous side of things more emphasis then the digging sticks, once on the first beat of each bar (about twice per second?).

Personally, I think it works well as it is.

Good job and thank you for sharing.

Alan

Hi Keith,

Your experimentation is working out well. There are also some great sounds here coming from the more traditional use of piano and strings, both of which benefit from some lovely and atmospheric writing.

This is good stuff - but I have to protest at the brevity! I know there's a lot of work involved but you're going to have to give up the day job and add a few more bars to this! I see it's about 3 minutes (which is longer than I thought) but time flew by too quickly!

Kind regards, Graham

This is a very peaceful piece. The sound is lovely. Some how I didn't expect anything "peaceful" to associated with Chicago. But then again there must be more to what one sees on TV.... I enjoyed your work a lot, thank you.
    Kind Regards

Louis Dekker
    My Music Site

Pour être grand, il faut avoir été petit.

Did you live near Chinatown?

I'm very fond of Chinese music and this melody has a Chinese flavor to it.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast