• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Epic- The Last Warrior (Main Theme)

Epic- The Last Warrior (Main Theme)

Hello everyone. It's been a good while since I last posted on the forums. So long in fact, I had forgotten my login info. and had to create another account, LOL.

I’ve been working on a score that I came up with the idea for, by playing a lot of MMORPG’S (Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Games) such as World of Warcraft, EverQuest and Runes of Magic, just to name a few. In all of these games, there are many heroes but, I decided to create and focus on my own legend. I wanted to compose something that had the huge “Epic” sound that is found in many of these games.

This is just the first 1:25 mock-up of the score but, I wanted to post it to get some feedback as to the mix, instruments, flow and mostly, if I have achieved that “Epic” sound thus far.

The intro of this track uses a lot of choir libraries and was, honestly, the most difficult and time consuming part of the score so far. I wanted a choir in the intro to convey a pure of heart, peaceful place to start from.

I thought it would be a good idea to set the scene for the score, so the listeners could have the same visual representation I had when composing this. (You’re welcome to conjure up your own as you listen)…

The scene opens with a fade in as the camera floats from above the trees through the mist of a forest; and finally to a small village’s daily activities. As the music crescendos, a cry is heard as a small boy runs into the village…”He’s coming! He’s coming!” The villagers take notice of the boy and a crowd begins to form as the camera floats over the villager’s heads, passing through the dense trees. As the crescendo reaches its climax, the last warrior appears on horseback riding at full speed towards the village…

With the scene set, and the popcorn hot and buttery, without further adieu, I give you, The Last Warrior.

Central Illinois

Re: Epic- The Last Warrior (Main Theme)

Hi and Welcome back to the community! You're getting off to a great start with this Epic. I like all the elements of this so far, the percussion instruments, the choral part, the horn call, it all works for me so far. Each section of this seems to move quickly on to the next part, I thought listening the first time that maybe the choral section could be developed further. But I listened again and I like the forward movement too. This should be interesting as you go on with this project. Thanks for sharing! John

That is very nice. The music paints a great picture. Well done.
    Producer ~ Sound Engineer ~ Musician

Aeon - You certainly have my vote! Well done! you are obviously very good at this - great dynamics, well recorded, great ambience and mood - dont' stop now!

Music happens to be an art form that transcends language. - Herbie Hancock

Ellendale, ND

Bravo! The options for this element are virtually endless. I am very much hoping to hear where you go with this.

Hello, Aeon Six - !

Spectacular come-back post! Thanks for describing what the genesis of this is and what the setting is. What fun. And now I'm an enthusiastic fan. What you have here sounds great, as professional and effective as any game music I've heard.

Hurrah for you!

Randy B.

Very good writing. Nice, big sound.

Which Garritan instruments did you use?

Larry G. Alexander

Shelton, Washington State

It works and it works very well.

I'm not too familiar with game music but it certainly fits the scenario and is also great sounding music.

I hope to hear more.

Hello ALL!

I just wanted to start off by saying thanks for all the wonderful comments and helpful advice! This type of project has really been a first love of mine for a long time.

Although I am composing this for a game type soundtrack feel, I suppose it could also be used for an opening main theme to a BIG blockbuster movie in the genre of fantasy. Since I was a little boy, and began watching films such as Ben Hur, Sinbad etc. I've grown to love and enjoy these even more as I've grown older. I suppose, like with any great film, the soundtrack can most definately make or break the movie.

Since my birth in the 60's, there have been seven generations of video game consoles. There is an excellent article (for any of you new to games, or would like to read some fascinating information about them) found here:

With that being said, I will move on to responding individually to those of you who have been kind enough to take time to listen and post...

Thanks so much for the warm welcome! I'm really glad you found this epic to your liking so far!

Thank you as well for your kind comments. I was hoping the "picture" I had in mind was translated through the mood and flow of the music.

I thank you for your warm encouraging comments! Believe it or not, this is my first attempt at composing something on this grand of a scale! Most of my compositions in the past have not been even close to this level of detail.

Thank you! I agree that the options for this type of element in this genre are literally endless. There are so many directions one could go and it really is easy to "stray" from the main focus of the piece (as with any composition) and lose the entire flow. I REALLY have to stay focused when I'm composing because there ARE so many different paths to go down.

Randy B.-

Wow! Thank you for your kind words! I am glad you have become "an enthusiastic fan" as you put it. I'm flattered to even have my music classified in the same catagory "as professional and effective as any game music I've heard."

Larry G.-

Thanks Larry for giving this a listen and liking what you heard so far! To answer your question as to what Garritan instruments I use: English horn, Percussion, Violins, Viola, Cello, Tempi, Harp.

Upon completion of the score, I will be posting all the instruments and various libraries I have used in order to complete such an epic sound.

Thank you and glad everything "works" well for you as you listened to this. As I progress further in the score, I will be posting each new addition as a mock-up, so everyone can hear the progress for themselves until I post the final mixdown of the completed score.

Thank all of you once again for such helpful, and kind words. Knowing I'm "on target" really helps.

Very effective Aeon.

I too think all of the elements thus far are doing their part to instill a sense of 'epic' story telling. I'm eager to hear where you take this sonically.
    The mix is also very nice. Very well balanced.

Keep up the good work.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast