• Register
  • Help

Topic: Is this a synclavier?

Share/Bookmark

Is this a synclavier?

Take a listen to this sample and let me know if you think the background synth is from a synclavier. Thanks.

www.disconrg.com/synclavier.mp3

Re: Is this a synclavier?

Quote Originally Posted by bscheffel View Post
    Take a listen to this sample and let me know if you think the background synth is from a synclavier. Thanks.

www.disconrg.com/synclavier.mp3
    I'm not sure what particular sound you are referring to but alot of that could be the Synclavier. It was, at it's basic level, similar to a Yamaha DX7 doing all of those stark digital sounds. When they added sampling it began it's journey into becoming the pinnacle of synthesizers (along with the Fairlight CMI and PPG)

I have a VST called Cult Sampler that has 10-12 synclavier sounds in it. Also some Fairlight sounds as well. Most are kind of uninspiring but the intro sound to Michael Jackson's Beat it is one of them. There's a few other oldies but goodies.

I used to drool over the Synclavier, still do sort of. At upwards of 1/2 a million bucks fully blown it was out of my price range. It's sad that New England Digital went away. They were great innovators. it's hard to belive that nowadays you could kick a Synclav's butt with a $1000 computer, Kontakt and Omnisphere. Times have changed.

Darren
    www.darrenpasdernick.com
    "Every time you play a wrong note God kills a kitten."

Re: Is this a synclavier?

Quote Originally Posted by dpasdernick View Post
    They were great innovators.
    I think a bunch of those engineers got snatched up by another music tech company, but I can't recall which one. They kind of bought up the NED brain trust in one fell swoop.

it's hard to belive that nowadays you could kick a Synclav's butt with a $1000 computer, Kontakt and Omnisphere. Times have changed.
    Not really when you consider you're talking about 25 yr old technology. Yes, the times have changed. Now I'm fussing because I've only got 4GB RAM to go along with my 1+TB of HD space and a quad core CPU! As is often stated, imagine where we'll be in another 25 years, and what we'll be complaining about then
    Paul Baker
    Baker's Jazz And More
    Austin, Texas, USA
    www.bakersjazzandmore.com

Go Back to forum