• Register
  • Help

Topic: Having trouble using GPO (Kontakt Player 2) in Finale 2009

Share/Bookmark

Red face Having trouble using GPO (Kontakt Player 2) in Finale 2009

Hi folks,

I'm struggling to find the option to use Kontakt Player 2 within Finale 2009. I've tried following the tutorial (perhaps it is for older Finale versions?) and the layout is not exactly the same... Anyway, whenever I follow the path Midi/Audio>Device Setup>Midi Setup I get the 'Midi Output: Device' box that the tutorial speaks about, but there is no sign of Kontakt player two or GPO. All it gives me is: Default midi output device, Microsoft GS Wavtable synth, and SmartMusic Softsynth 1-8. Can anyone help me? The Garritan sounds within Finale 2009 are great but obviously I want to enjoy the full scope of samples contained in GPO.

Thanks,
    Jonathan

PS - Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this, or if the question has been answered elsewhere. I have looked for hours, but couldn't find an answer!

Re: Having trouble using GPO (Kontakt Player 2) in Finale 2009

Finale 2009 changed a bit. You need to go to Midi/Audio -> Instrument setup.

I'm not in front of my home computer but I believe 'Instrument setup is the menu item to select. That caught me off guard as well.

Hope that solves it for you.

Steve Winkler

Quote Originally Posted by swinkler View Post
    Finale 2009 changed a bit. You need to go to Midi/Audio -> Instrument setup.

I'm not in front of my home computer but I believe 'Instrument setup is the menu item to select. That caught me off guard as well.

Hope that solves it for you.

Steve Winkler

Thanks Steve,

Unfortunately, I still can't find KP2... Here's what happens...
    Midi/Audio>Instrument Setup>VST instruments... leads to a box with the different channels in it. I can load ---, instruments for finale 2009, or smartmusic softsynth

If I go Midi/Audio>instrument setup>instrument list then there is nothing to change in terms of sound library that I can see.

Thanks again,
    Jonathan

Hi Jonathan, It sounds like Finale doesn't know where to find the GPO library.
    For any VST instrument to work from within Finale, there has to be a .dll folder for that library in Finale's VST folder. So you can navigate to that folder on your computer and see if there is a PersonalOrchestraVST
    .dll file. If not, then navigate to wherever GPO is stored on your computer, for me the path is :
    My Computer(C)>Program Files>GarritanPersonalOrchestra>VST
    Then you need to copy the PersonalOrchestrVST.dll file and paste it into Finale's VST folder.
    Then the next time you open Finale and load a project, you should be able to click on MIDI/Audio>play Finale through VST>Instrument Setup>VST Instruments>
    then under VST Instrument there is a blue box with an arrow, click on that arrow and you should find Garritan Personal Orchestra listed.
    Click on it and then click on "EDIT" and in a few seconds the KontaktPlayer will open where you can choose your instruments by clicking on the "load" box and going down the list to the "9. Notation", hover your cursor over it and you should see the instrument categories.
    I hope this will work and get you going with GPO. John

I understand what you're saying now. John's reply should help you.

Let us know your progress.

Thanks,
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by swinkler View Post
    I understand what you're saying now. John's reply should help you.

Let us know your progress.

Thanks,
    Steve
    It sure did! And now I'm up and running! Just need to figure out how to use it properly!

Thanks guys!
    Jonathan

This worked. Thank you so much.

Joh

Quote Originally Posted by bigears View Post
    Hi Jonathan, It sounds like Finale doesn't know where to find the GPO library.
    For any VST instrument to work from within Finale, there has to be a .dll folder for that library in Finale's VST folder. So you can navigate to that folder on your computer and see if there is a PersonalOrchestraVST
    .dll file. If not, then navigate to wherever GPO is stored on your computer, for me the path is :
    My Computer>(C>Program Files>GarritanPersonalOrchestra>VST
    Then you need to copy the PersonalOrchestrVST.dll file and paste it into Finale's VST folder.
    Then the next time you open Finale and load a project, you should be able to click on MIDI/Audio>play Finale through VST>Instrument Setup>VST Instruments>
    then under VST Instrument there is a blue box with an arrow, click on that arrow and you should find Garritan Personal Orchestra listed.
    Click on it and then click on "EDIT" and in a few seconds the KontaktPlayer will open where you can choose your instruments by clicking on the "load" box and going down the list to the "9. Notation", hover your cursor over it and you should see the instrument categories.
    I hope this will work and get you going with GPO. John

Go Back to forum