• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: sound card

Share/Bookmark

sound card

comments on E-MU 0404?

My present card has two stereo outputs, which sometimes work simultaneously, sometimes not. One output will lose the right channel. Eventually, it returns. The problem switches from output to output. Input is always okay. No idea why. Easy solution is replace it.

Ideas, please? I don't have much hair to pull out.

Richard

Re: sound card

Hi Richard, I don't have that soundcard, but you might check to see if you have the latest driver. The latest version is 1.3.

http://www.emu.com/support/files/dow...y=0&Platform=1

I like E-MU products.

Are you thinking of getting the USB or PCI version?

M-audio Audiophile 2496 is very popular if you're looking for a PCI solution. Edirol also makes solid USB and Firewire interfaces that are comparatively inexpensive. I have the 1212M and am very happy with its audio quality.

Have you tried unplugging and replugging the bad channel. It could be that some dirt has built up in there somehow. A quick cleaning and/or check might save you trouble and money. You might also try replacing the cables - also less expensive than a new interface.
    Paul Baker
    Baker's Jazz And More
    Austin, Texas, USA
    www.bakersjazzandmore.com

Quote Originally Posted by bmdaustin View Post
    M-audio Audiophile 2496 is very popular if you're looking for a PCI solution. Edirol also makes solid USB and Firewire interfaces that are comparatively inexpensive. I have the 1212M and am very happy with its audio quality.

Have you tried unplugging and replugging the bad channel. It could be that some dirt has built up in there somehow. A quick cleaning and/or check might save you trouble and money. You might also try replacing the cables - also less expensive than a new interface.

Well, I have tried the cleaning, cable switching, etc. (I used to troubleshoot radio communications systems and equipment, so that is an autoresponse). The problem is clearly the sound card, and moves from one stereo out to the other. All configurations are correct, all diagnostics check out as no error!

I am looking for a pci card, unless there is an advantage to usb. I see one more cable, and I already have a mess.

Richard

Richard

I use a Delta 88 PCI, It has 4 in and 4 out and I have been happy with it.

What all do you want the card to do? That will be the main factor in which one to purchase.

Ron
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

http://composersforum.ning.com/profile/RonaldFerguson

Quote Originally Posted by rolifer View Post
    Richard

I use a Delta 88 PCI, It has 4 in and 4 out and I have been happy with it.

What all do you want the card to do? That will be the main factor in which one to purchase.

Ron
    Well, my needs are very simple. I would like the card to have a midi interface so I can plug my Fatar in and midi out to my Roland 1010. I want stereo output to headphones and stereo system. 44.1 sample rate, asio compliant. The cards I have looked at on line leave me somewhat confused and apprehensive. It is a long drive to any store that handles such items, and I don't like long drives. I have to make one soon, to the Coast Guard Station, to pick up my new eye glasses, and that will be enough for a long time!

I can't see much difference between the M-Audio card and the E-Mu that I have looked at, so next, the Delta 88.

Richard

It might, only might, be the connection between the sound card and the motherboard. If you can, take the sound card out and then put in back in or even wiggle it around) to improve the connection.

I still use my old Sound blaster alongside a new M-audio
    Derek
    Things may come and things may go but the art school dance goes on forever
    NOW WITH Cubase 5, JABB,GPO, Fender Strat, Ibanez RG, Yamaha Fretless Bass, Framus Archtop, The Trumpet and Mr T Sax, together with GREEN SEALING WAX

What type of computer do you have, and what sort of o/s are you using? If you are on a 64 bit o/s, some of the M-Audio cards (like the Audiophiles) still only have beta drivers, and reports seem to indicate that they are not always stable. Obviously, if you are on a 32 bit o/s it is not an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by rwayland View Post
    comments on E-MU 0404?Richard
    A very good music writer friend of mine in America uses one of those and thinks it's very good. He probably does have more hair than you - but I don't think that's a pre-requisite of owning this particular sound card.

Go Back to forum