• Register
  • Help

Topic: Brass - more realistic sound

Share/Bookmark

Brass - more realistic sound

Someone told me that it's hard to get your brass section sounds sounding realistic.
    I am wondering what other people out there use to achieve this?

(I am using Sonar Home Studio 6XL)

Re: Brass - more realistic sound

I use a combination of GPO and JABB brass to get what I need. Also I am learning to use cc16 for aggressiveness control of the AG samples. I understand that some ProjectSAM brass will be included in the GPO update that will be out soon. I have used ProjectSAM brass (now for KP2 - you don't need the full Kontakt version anymore) and find it to be excellent (I have also used Symphobia (also for KP2) by ProjectSAM - great stuff).
    In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.

http://reberclark.blogspot.com http://reberclark.bandcamp.com http://www.youtube.com/reberclark

Hi, Bansaw

Getting a sound people want from Brass samples is indeed a constant challenge. The Brass in GPO, like all of the instruments in that Library, were tailored for an orchestral, classical sound, and so don't readily lend themselves to jazz and Broadway, without massaging the sounds.

Reberclark's
    method of mixing the more gutsy JABB Brass with instruments in GPO is one a lot of us use, and that's a very effective approach.

Along with the rest of us, stand by for the new version of GPO coming soon which will include some ProjectSAM Brass, as Reber mentioned. They should help a lot for the more aggressive sound we often need in our pieces.

Randy B.

Hi Bansaw,

Here is a Brass tutorial put together by Robert, one of our members. http://www.garritan.com/tutorial/MasterClass_Brass.html Although it is done with Kontakt 1 it will apply to Kontakt 2 patches and the upcoming ARIA GPO. I hope this helps.

Reber and Randy are right about GPO ARIA including more brass samples (from Project SAM). It should be available soon.

Best,

Gary

Talking Re: Brass - more realistic sound

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan View Post
    ...GPO ARIA including more brass samples (from Project SAM) should be available soon.

Best,

Gary
    Gary, NEWT syndrome again? (!)

Don't worry, just stare at the rotating spiral and listen:

Release GPO ARIA now, I want to give you my money,

;o)

NDEE

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    Hi, Bansaw

Getting a sound people want from Brass samples is indeed a constant challenge. The Brass in GPO, like all of the instruments in that Library, were tailored for an orchestral, classical sound, and so don't readily lend themselves to jazz and Broadway, without massaging the sounds.

Reberclark's method of mixing the more gutsy JABB Brass with instruments in GPO is one a lot of us use, and that's a very effective approach.

Along with the rest of us, stand by for the new version of GPO coming soon which will include some ProjectSAM Brass, as Reber mentioned. They should help a lot for the more aggressive sound we often need in our pieces.

Randy B.
    And I thought it was just my aging ears!

I have been trying to get the right sound in a brass fanfare for literally weeks; however, I only have the Reason refill. Randy has now given me some hope for improvement in this area with the new GPO.

I have been visiting the site daily with credit card in hand and my drool-stained sweat shirt. When I called Garritan during the $99 sale in December, a soft-spoken man told me to wait. I am now wondering if it was Gary himself - the voice seems to match the pictures I've seen posted on this forum.

Hiya, Dominck

In the meantime, let's be sure not to expect any samples to work the way we want just by having them triggered by Note On events. At the minimum, work the velocity levels, saving the highest (120-127) for those big moments, and also work the CC1 volume/timbre control so that it's not static. Every MIDI controller you can corral for your projects is worth the effort. Var 1 and 2 for slight imperfections in intonation etc.

The Overlay sounds for the Brass do a Lot to add realism - Just don't layer them in there without working them. Those should just swell up and down again for the biggest brassiest notes.

In other words, even without newer samples, it's not as if Plenty can't be done with what we already have.

Randy B.

Go Back to forum