• Register
  • Help

Topic: Confusion about intervals

Share/Bookmark

Question Confusion about intervals

I just practiced a little bit and here is what I got.
    Aug7th B - A double-sharp not B
    m3rd A flat - C flat not B
    dim7th B - A flat not G sharp

Does this mean that all the accidentals in minor and diminished need to be in flats, and in sharps for major and augmented?

Re: Confusion about intervals

Quote Originally Posted by Elrasiel View Post

Does this mean that all the accidentals in minor and diminished need to be in flats, and in sharps for major and augmented?
    First, you should count how many notes are included in the interval without sharps or flats, let's go with the 2nd one you wrote, A B C, which is 3 notes, so it's a 3rd, if it were to go to B then it would be a 2nd.
    A-B is a major 2nd, A-C is a minor 3rd, A flat - C is a maj3rd, A flat - C flat is a min3rd.

Just look at the key signature. In Aflat minor there is no B natural, augmented 7th is the major 7th raised (sharpened) by a semitone which is an octave but is noted as the #7th, Diminished 7th is the major 7th flattened twice, once to minor 7th and again to diminished 7th, so in C would be B double flat not A which is a 6th.

Its all only theory anyway.
    Derek
    Things may come and things may go but the art school dance goes on forever
    NOW WITH Cubase 5, JABB,GPO, Fender Strat, Ibanez RG, Yamaha Fretless Bass, Framus Archtop, The Trumpet and Mr T Sax, together with GREEN SEALING WAX

Yes, a general rule-of-thumb. But keep in mind that there may be naturals involved as well.

In the key of F sharp major, a diminished 7th interval on F sharp would be E natural.

In the key of A flat major an augmented 5th from A flat would be E natural.

David

Wouldn't a diminished seventh interval of F# be Eb, rather than E natural? I assume you meant minor 7th. Anyway, your point is well taken.
    Sam

and, "A flat miner" is what you get when you drop a piano down a mine shaft

Let me put this in simpler terms. Spelling is always determined by stacking in thirds. So a C chord—regardless of quality—is always spelled C-E-G with whatever sharps and flats are appropriate. If it has any type of 7, that 7 is B. That means a C diminished can never have a D#, because it wouldn't be a C chord anymore. C diminished is C-Eb-Gb-Bbb (two flats) because it maintains the proper spelling for the triad. When people write C-D#-F#-A, that's actually a D# diminished 7 chord. That principle will cover any enharmonic spelling you come across.

The first thing I do with identifying intervals
    is think in terms of the ALPHABET, ALWAYS start with Alphabet, it never fails.

Some examples of ALPHABET and intervals: ALL 2nd's are A up to B, or B up to C, or C up to D, etc.
    ALL 3rds are ( Alphabetically speaking ) A up to C, or B up to D, etc
    ALL 4ths A up to D, or G up to C, or in reverse D down to A , G down to D

Always start with the Alphabet-
    If you hear the word "third" in the interval, you are assured it is A b C = A up to C

Perfect Intervals are Unison, Fifth, Octave, and their multiples eg a Twelfth
    A Perfect interval s

Perfect Intervals have a variation in terms of lowering them that is different from Major and Minor intervals!

A Perfect Fifth A up to E for instance, when the top note is lowered a half step, does not become ( not identified as ) a Minor interval but instead is called a Diminished Interval

In contrast, A Major Interval, when lowered Does become Minor.
    If a Major interval is flatted twice ( A - F# becoming A - Fb ) it becomes Diminished!! A up to Fb is what? We can instantly know it is a sixth- due to ALPHABET

for an absurd example

what is the name of this example A## up to Gbb??
    I have no idea right off, but I am positive it would be a SEVENTH due to alphabet
    Just for fun let's see what it's name would be ( in reality this "seventh" sounds like a TRITONE )
    I am going to start with A up to G , a humble minor 7th
    flat the G once it becomes a Diminished 7th
    flat it once more Doubly Diminished Seventh

Contracting this imaginary interval once more, by raising the A to A# I get
    a Triple Diminished
    And one last raising yields the absurd Quadruple ( Quadruply ) Diminished Seventh!!

Just note, it was always a SEVENTH because of that handy ALPHABET
    !!

Quote Originally Posted by sammy24 View Post
    Wouldn't a diminished seventh interval of F# be Eb, rather than E natural? I assume you meant minor 7th. Anyway, your point is well taken.
    You are right! Thanks for correcting my mistake.

David

Go Back to forum