• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: God Only Knows- Beach Boys A Cappella

Share/Bookmark

God Only Knows- Beach Boys A Cappella

This is The Beach Boys recording God Only Knows with the vocal track only.

It sounds like it's from the original studio work. There are 10 songs from Pet Sounds posted.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_Z-6...el_page&fmt=18

Re: God Only Knows- Beach Boys A Cappella

Only knows what?
    Styxx

The "Pet Sounds Sessions" was released in 1997. The 4 CD set contains lots of:
    "instrumental tracks, vocals-only tracks, alternate mixes, and edited highlights from the recording sessions for many of the album's songs, as well as several songs not included on the album."

Ern,

Do you know who sang lead on this song?
    Carl Wilson sang lead on this song.

Phil

Ern,

Wow! Can you clue me in, Phil, how to distinguish between Carl and Brian!? I know that Brian sang a lot of the high parts, but he also sang a lot of lead vocals. Could you give me some idea of songs that Brian and Carl sang!?
    Their voices are very similar so it's a little hard to tell but God Only Knows(1966) was his first lead work and later he was singing many of the leads on Smiley, Smiley and Wild Honey as Brian was beginning to retreat from life. Listen to Carl on God Only Knows and compare to the others from Pet Sounds which Brain sang. Carl has a higher timbre to his voice and a more melodic voice but Brian has more character and edge.

They were in Olympia in 1968 and were a great live band. Buffalo Springfield with Stephen Stills and Neil Young was the warm up band and was not so good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QCZ_...el_page&fmt=18

Phil

Hi Guys-

I am the MD and lead guitarist for the Beach Boys (and a long time Garritan user!).

I will also recommend The Pet Sounds Sessions, what a revelation!

Even after playing with the band for several years, and listening to the records my whole life, I also have trouble knowing who is singing from time to time. Fastlane does a good job describing the differences between Brian and Carl.

I think Carl's first lead was Girl Don't Tell Me...but God Only Knows was certainly an amazing performance.

Hi Scott
    Great to see you here.
    I saw Scott a few years back playing with the Beach Boys at an outdoor concert in Seattle - very fun show ! Hope to see you some more here, and to see you again at a show.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Totten View Post
    Hi Guys-

I am the MD and lead guitarist for the Beach Boys (and a long time Garritan user!).
    Hi Scott,

Welcome to the forum! Glad you felt like joining our community

Tony

I saw the Beach Boys in Philadelphia on July 4, 1987. They played at 12 noon in front of the Art Museum (then later, flew to DC do do the show closer down there).

It was an all day festival, with a crowd estimate of 500,000 in the Parkway. The BB were incredible. I was shocked at how many high school kids knew all the lyrics. At one point, they brought out a guest drummer - Mr. T. He was really good!

There was discussion in the crowd about an upcoming concert called Live-Aid. "You got tickets? - Yeah, I got tickets - No, what is it?" kind of chatter.

Those were the days of great outdoor concerts.

dave

Quote Originally Posted by Ernstinen View Post
    If you see Bruce Johnston, let him know that I didn't appreciate him hitting on my wife at an airport a few years ago. Seriously, he actually DID!
    Last time I saw Bruce Johnston, all the wives were hitting on him.

Go Back to forum