• Register
  • Help

Topic: Failure to write 'wave; files

Share/Bookmark

Failure to write 'wave; files

I have installed G.P.O./Kontakt 2 in combination with the Sionsoft 'Quickscore Elite 2' (2008) and have been using this combination successfully for some months. Following a computer-crash, I have re-installed everything again, into a re-formatted 'clean' drive C:\ with Windows XP-Home (SP3). When writing instrument parts, I use 'notation' exclusively, no problems, but, I find I am unable to extract individual instrument-lines as 'wave; files, because I cannot get ASIO4all-2 to remain locked-in. Previously that worked and I had excellent wave-files to take to a D.A.W. for mixing. Now, sadly, nothing.

I have used 'ASIO' for some time as the 'primary-driver' option is plainly inadequate, quality-wise. Each time I try to activate the option which would allow me to extract my 'wave' files, 'ASIO' has switched itself off.

Additionally, although I'm sure its not due to anything 'Garritan/Kontakt', I find I have to switch on another program (Ashampoo Music Studio) to reserve an out output device for creating 'wave' files. That applied, even in the 'old' installation.

There's gotta be a better way. Is anyone out there prepared to share it with me?

Ian Smith, New Zealand
    IAN SMITH

Re: Failure to write 'wave; files

Ian,

Good to see you again. I'm unfamiliar with Sionsoft except for a quick look at its website, but you say it has the ability to bounce VSTs to audio? What's the exact error message you're receiving when you try to bounce?

Offhand, your symptoms seem to be related to the sound card or its driver. Chances are during your reformat you installed or did not install something. If you can tell us the make and model of your PC and its soundcard, we'll take it from there.

Best,
    Reegs

Thanks Reegs,

before using the upgraded 'Sionsoft', I used the 'Elite 12' version. Yesterday I downloaded the latest 'Asio4all 2.9' currently available on the 'ASIO4all' web-site. I am now able to play back excellent quality 'wave', but sadly, only in mono. However, that is 'progress' of a sort.

I have switched to the 'Kontakt' console to check whether the sounds are proceeding from GPOP, they are. I've also checked my results using 'Wavosaur' and they show a 'wave' file of two separate 'Mono' channels which cannot be combined. One channel, anyway, has nothing on it, so, currently, I have left-hand, but no right-hand channel.

I didn't install the card or do any re-configuration after 'XP' was reinstalled for me. The 'Asio' (for which a channel still has to be reserved using 'Music Studio' as formerly), seems OK, but it is operating with the 'in' function (in 'advanced-screen') blanked-out.

I am quite prepared to set one version of 'Quickscore up for normal work on composition, etc, and use the other (Elite 12), just for extracting 'wave-files'. I have tons of computer capacity and plenty of reserve memory, plus an 'Athlon XP' 2.2 CPU, slightly de-tuned for reliability.

Thanks for the assistance, it's much appreciated.

Ian Smith
    Dunedin, New Zealand. (where there's currently, not a cloud in the sky).
    IAN SMITH

Hi there. I am pleased to be able to report that my problem with the extraction of 'wave' files has been overcome. It seems the sticking-point was the latest 'ASIO4all' version 2.9. It worked, but only for one channel at a time. After a number of investigatory procedures, including the download of a neat little 'ASIO' signal-generator, I decided to re-install the version 2.8 of 'ASIO4all'. To my amazement, it worked fine, and the 'wave' files have been extracted, cleaned up (residual noise-wise), and filed for the next stage of proceedings.

The procedure I used with both 'Quickscore' and 'Kontakt' was to insert the 'asio4all.dll' file into 'VST' so that it would be kick-started into action as the program was loaded. All instances of 'MIDI', configuration-wise, were set to 'off', likewise anything set to 'GWSynth'. Apart from that, Sionsoft
    'Quickscore' functions very well. More ambitious programs such as 'Finale', 'Sibelius' etc, are out of the question for me, as I am a superannuitant,
    aged early 70's, and the present state of the $NZ is such that we must exactly double prices in American currency to arrive at 'New Zealand'
    prices. Hence, I've put up the (financial) shutters for a time.
    IAN SMITH

Great to hear it's working again. Have fun making music!

Dunedin, NZ?

That's where my wife is from!

Rob

You'll be onto a 'winner' Rob.

All the best.

Ian S.
    IAN SMITH

Go Back to forum