• Register
  • Help

Topic: String Ensemble tutorial: Can't make multiple instances of Kontakt work together

Share/Bookmark

String Ensemble tutorial: Can't make multiple instances of Kontakt work together

Hi everyone.

One more of those stupid situations this one newbie gets into.

I am in earnest trying to succeed at making this tutorial work. I am using the MIDI file mandated by the tutorial, with cloning the tracks and all. However, I decided to use 3 instances of Kontakt 2 Player 2.2.4 in stead of four as stipulated in the tutorial. But this should not make any difference, at least logically.

The problem, as the title of this posting says, is that these instances do NOT want to work simultaneously as far as output is concerned. When I play my Axiom61 MIDI controller, all of the level meters of all 3 instances work. In other words, every track seems to have input, but sound is coming only from one of the players, ie Violins 1, or Violas, or Cellos or Basses, never from all of the instances in the same time. The problem may lie in that I have all 3 Kontact Players effected from a single Audio track. Or, is this a problem, should I have 3 Audio tracks, that is, a separate audio track for each of Kontakt's 3 instances?

Thanks, Sylva

Re: String Ensemble tutorial: Can't make multiple instances of Kontakt work together

If you have Kontakt going to one audio track in the sequencer then you would need to have all instances (violin, Viola, etc) all set to the same audio output.
    If you have 1 out and any of the instruments are set to a different out then they will not be heard.

If you want separate audio tracks for each instrument, in order to put effects or EQ on them using plugins, then each instrument would need a separate output in Kontakt.

The setting for this is by the midi channel assignment in the instrument.

Re: String Ensemble tutorial: Can't make multiple instances of Kontakt work together

Thanks P.T.

1. I solved the problem. In my posting I gave the answer to myself, indeed, by creating an Audio track for each of the Kontakt Player instances. Now everything works.

2. HOWEVER: the sound of the upper strings and violas is subpar. They sound like a regular GM2 synthesized output. This is hardly satisfactory. Problem is I have 24 MIDI tracks and each one needs to be tweaked (to say the least) for more realistic output.

In other words, is there any possibility in Kontakt Player 2.2.4 to adjust these effects collectively for multiple tracks simultaneously? That is, is there any way to link these tracks to modify their effects/properties simultaneously?

3. Up till now, I was fiddling with fundamentals and trying to heavily modify instruments to sound closer to what they're supposed to sound like in both GPO and JABB. Some of the times I came close, such as with the Fluegelhorn, Bari and Bass Sax, Horn (quite good) Contrabass Tuba and Cello. But now, I am trying out the more involved tools in Sonar SHS 6 XL, such as drawing CCs. I don't know, but the draw tool only works at times, though I am using the MIDI Event Type insertion tool. This is not the main problem, however. Suppose I want to draw CC1 for ALL of the channels at once, not channel by channel, which, even though leads one to a more "humane" sound, when having 24-70 string tracks, separately doing it for each channel on 3-6 Kontact Players can threaten one's mental integrity.

Do you know of any more productive method for doing just that? I tried to select all of the tracks, but it didn't work, since the insertion tool appears to work only for one channel at a time.

Thanks, Sylva.
    Last edited by sylva; 03-03-2009 at 01:34 PM. Reason: Update

There are 2 approaches.

If you have violins, violas, cellos and basses all set to separate outs in Kontakt going to separate tracks in Sonar you can then create a new track in Sonar and route all of these tracks to this group track. (or however Sonar does this).
    This will allow you to do tweaking to the individual tracks, just violins for example, and will also allow you to do general EQ and effects for all string sections together, including volume automation and such.

Alternately, you could set each section (violins, violas, etc) in Kontakt to the same output channel. Then send then to 1 track in Sonar. This will severely restrict what you can do to the sounds as you will lose access to the individual sections.

I don't fully understand what you are saying in point 3.
    Why do the sounds need to be worked on in order to get them to sound like they are supposed to in GPO.

Hi Sylva, I'm not clear on which version of Sonar you are using, but I may have an answer for you regarding using the same CC# data for multiple tracks.
    When you are in the piano roll view in Sonar, and you have entered midi data in a controller pane, you can use the "select tool" and click and drag a box around your midi data. Then if you right click on the name of another controller pane
    (even in another track) you will get a menu that asks if you want to copy or move the previously selected data to that new track. If you select "copy" the data you have drawn in the original track will be pasted into the new track(s).
    I hope this will work in your version of Sonar. John

Quote Originally Posted by sylva View Post
    In other words, is there any possibility in Kontakt Player 2.2.4 to adjust these effects collectively for multiple tracks simultaneously? That is, is there any way to link these tracks to modify their effects/properties simultaneously?
    You can do a list of things:

- Set different Kontakt tracks to the same midi channel within one player.
    - Send the midi output of one midi track to several other midi tracks and each fires a different Kontakt patch
    - Copy and paste your midi track from one to several other tracks
    - Record your midi data rather than drawing it, and while doing so, arm more than one midi track.

Whether any of these options lead to desireable results is another question but they work if that is what you want.
    All your strings belong to me!
    www.strings-on-demand.com

Hi, Sylva

I admit I'm not quite understanding everything in your posts, but I basically get it that you're wanting to work the MIDI data as much as possible to get the natural sounding results you want. Good--It Does take a lot of MIDI work.

But you're asking to simplify and automate things to an extent that would be totally counter-productive to your desire to get more natural sounding recordings.

"...Suppose I want to draw CC1 for ALL of the channels at once..."

You do Not want to do that. That's a sure way to drain the life out of your tracks, create the dreaded "organ effect" - and achieve exactly the opposite of what you're wanting. That's easy enough to understand---picture all your instruments performing a volume curve in precisely the same way---Awful!

Hannes and others have given you good tips here, but Hannes' last line is what you should take to heart. When he said "...Whether any of these options lead to desireable results is another question but they work if that is what you want...," he was indicating that there are ways to do what you're asking, but the results won't be satisfactory.

John Big Ears explained how you can copy and paste controller data between MIDI channels - and sometimes that's a useful technique.

But the bottom line is that it Does take a long time, and individual attention to each instrument's data in order to get the best recordings. You just gotta put in the hours my friend!

Randy B.

Go Back to forum