• Register
  • Help

Topic: "What Child is This?" (in 9/8)

Share/Bookmark

"What Child is This?" (in 9/8)

Post four from my in-progress Christmas project (posts one, two and three). This one's a 9/8 (3/8+3/4) arrangement of "Greensleeves" (aka "What Child is This?") that, by the end, uses piano, harp, handbells, harpsicord, snare drum, flute, oboe, bassoon, french horn, trumpet, and trombone (all as solo instruments). Created through Finale 2009 (with Human Playback) using Finale's GPO lite and Garritan Aria.

http://www.matthewprins.com/what_chi...s_03-03_eq.mp3

Matthew

Re: "What Child is This?" (in 9/8)

Matthew, your Christmas project is really something special. I appreciate you sharing the pieces with us as they emerge from your studio.

"Greensleeves" has been interpreted in so many different ways, and I can't say that any I've heard are more inventive than yours. There's a completely new mood you've created for this tune - sometimes cited as one of the oldest melodies on earth!-- The rushing phrasing of your 9/8 setting was very captivating, and such an interesting surprise.

The way the final phrase of the chorus kept being suspended, unfinished - an intriguing device which helped maintain my interest as to what would happen next in your dynamic orchestration.

Thanks much for a very enjoyable listen.

I'm including the link to my version of "Greensleeves" which is on the Garritan 2008 Christmas CD. Since you've just finished working with the melody, you may enjoy hearing my somewhat melancholic take on the song.

http://www.garritan.com/xmas/2008/Greensleeves.mp3

Thanks again, Matthew.

Randy B.

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    I'm including the link to my version of "Greensleeves" which is on the Garritan 2008 Christmas CD. Since you've just finished working with the melody, you may enjoy hearing my somewhat melancholic take on the song.

http://www.garritan.com/xmas/2008/Greensleeves.mp3
    That's a very nice arrangement, and an extraordinarily musical (and realistic) performance -- were you using the solo Strad on that or the GPO violin?

Matthew

Hello again, Matthew

Why, thanks for taking a listen! Isn't it wonderful how the same raw material can be evoked so differently by our choice of arrangement and instrumentation?

And thanks for the nice comments too. My recording features the three most stellar solo instruments from the Garritan Libraries - The Steinway, The Strad and The Gofriller Cello. The latter two are unfortunately no longer available, apparently due to disputes amongst the creators.

People sometimes do amazing acrobatics in their apps to make the solo Violins in GPO hold up in the spotlight, but since those instruments use far fewer samples, they're best for ensemble work where they do nicely.

Thanks again.

Randy B.

Hello Matthew,
    nice doing with an old song. I adored that rhythm, it gave the whole piece "a jump" I never realized possible.

Raymond

Very interesting and creative - I must admit that I almost quit listening after the first few bars. Things are never as they seem! But I hung in there much to my benefit. - Great changes/transitions and a very fresh look to a very old song. One of my favourite carols that I never seem to get tired of. (unlike some of the other carols)

Really enjoyed it! I even listened twice. There's a lot of notes there, but not too many!

Thanks for posting - Del
    Music happens to be an art form that transcends language. - Herbie Hancock

http://www.mdtcommunications.com

Hello again, Matthew - You know already from my previous post that I'm a fan of your recording. I believe you added this to the Christmas '09 CD thread in General Discussion - that's super.

And I'm here because of something Del just now made me think of when he said, "...I never seem to get tired of. (unlike some of the other carols)..."

Never getting tired of it is true for me too, and I believe part of its strength is because it wasn't a carol to begin with. It has a broader appeal than that. As I mentioned in my earlier responses, this is cited as being one of the oldest melodies on earth, older than when it became known as "Greensleeves." Like so many cultural things, traditions, mythological characters, holidays etc which were usurped and integrated into the Christian church, this melody harkens back to a simpler, pagan time. We resonate with it, while most carols were manufactured for the specific agenda of selling Christmas - the less pure compositional motivation perhaps colors our reception of them?

I'm glad Del stuck with your track after his initial dislike - He ended up really enjoying your work with this, like I certainly do.

Randy B.

Go Back to forum