• Register
  • Help

Topic: Advice on setting up Master/slave computers using Vienna Ensemble 3

Share/Bookmark

Advice on setting up Master/slave computers using Vienna Ensemble 3

I have a G5 Mac (Dual 1.25 Ghz w/ 4.5 GB RAM). I'm using that as my Master computer
    with Digital Performer as my sequencer. I just bought a Sony Vaio laptop (2.16 Dual core Pentium w/ 3 GB RAM).

I want to use that as my slave computer. I have several Vienna Instruments and the Special Edition. I was thinking of using the VE3 to network both computers together. Here are my questions:

1. My understanding is that if I use VE3, I don't need an audio interface on my slave computer (Sony). But, what if I want to playback other samples besides the Vienna Instruments (i.e. Giga, GVI, Kontakt)? Would the VE3 allow me to pass the audio
    from these other plug-ins without using a separate audio interface on the laptop? Can I use the other plug-ins in Standalone mode while I'm running VE3 with the Vienna Instruments?

Thanks,

Tom

Re: Advice on setting up Master/slave computers using Vienna Ensemble 3

Hi there,

The simple answer is no. Not that I am aware of or can find.

For this to be possible, there would have to be an audio 'IN' into VE 3.0.

I actually have the same identical setup, but I am not using the 'audio over LAN' feature in V3. I am getting audio through ADAT from VE machine using an audio card. I already had mine set up, so no reason to change it. (if it works, don't break it being my principle there).

If you do get the system running with the audio over LAN in VE please let me know how reliable it is. I would be interested to know how well it works on a Dual G5.

Good luck,

Felix

Go Back to forum