• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Admiral Vernon

Share/Bookmark

Re: Admiral Vernon

Hi Fredrik, These little excursions into history are always interesting accompanied by your music. I think one of the things I like is there is a strong bass or low instrument presence in your pieces. Hippie has his pieces grounded with those fantastic low synth sounds and yours by the great double basses.

John

GREAT sound Fred!!!! and that baby has some bottom.
    Producer ~ Sound Engineer ~ Musician

http://www.myspace.com/451525581

Great orchestration Fred. It works well with your historical presentations and information. Sweden's early history in the Americas was never taught in our schools so this was a very welcome lesson.

You're getting very nice sound here. Are you using Altiverb?

We will have to start referring to you as professor- composer Fredrik!

Phil

Powerful, rolling and mighty sea waves...up and down...side to side...rocking and rolling...pitching and yawing... (I think I'm seasick)!

The rendition is well done. It has a power to it and is well orchestrated. Thanks for getting my day off to a rolling start.

[Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Really nice counterpoint. I'd very much like to hear those in my head when I write. Very well executed.

Hi Fredrik,
    good piece. Nice this little history of real facts, together with a very well written composition (and rendering).

New York= New Amsterdam
    Brooklyn = Breukelen (a dutch town near Utrecht)

Raymond

Hi Fred,

Peter Stuyvesant. Fort Kristina was seized, but Stuyvesant let the Swedish colonists stay in the region, but this time under the Dutch in "New Netherland", instead. He is known for expanding "New Amsterdam", which became "New York". He built "Wall Street" and "Broadway" in New York City.
    maybe they'll be rebuilding the "wall" around Wall Street?

Just re listened to your piece, and enjoyed it anew. John

Quote Originally Posted by Fredrik View Post
    I have also found out that there is a "Haarlem" in Holland, which of course you must know about!

Fred
    Yes, sorry, I forgot to mention Harlem (Haarlem).
    May be or may be not, but the Red Light district in Amsterdam is also called "de walletjes" (The Walls). Is there any relation to Wall Street? "De Walletjes" or "De Wallen" are situated at the centre of old Amsterdam, they were wooden walls to protect against.. what? The Swedes(LOL)??

Raymond

Raymond, I looked it up:

The name of the street derives from the fact that during the 17th century, Wall Street formed the northern boundary of the New Amsterdam settlement. In the 1640s basic picket and plank fences denoted plots and residences in the colony. Later, on behalf of the Dutch West India Company, Peter Stuyvesant, in part using African slaves, led the Dutch in the construction of a stronger stockade. A strengthened 12-foot (4 m) wall of timber and earth was created by 1653 fortified by palisades.The wall was created, and strengthened over time, as a defense against attack from various Native American tribes, New England colonists, and the British. In 1685 surveyors laid out Wall Street along the lines of the original stockade.The wall was dismantled by the British in 1699. It is likely the name comes from the Dutch word wal, meaning rampart or fortification.

In the late 18th century, there was a buttonwood tree at the foot of Wall Street under which traders and speculators would gather to trade informally. In 1792, the traders formalized their association with the Buttonwood Agreement. This was the origin of the New York Stock Exchange.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast