• Register
  • Help

Topic: Forgotten voices - Francesca

Share/Bookmark

Forgotten voices - Francesca

Well... I downloaded and have been playing around for about an hour now. I think this gets a big thumbs up. It (so far) seems that it is impossible not to get an amazing sound regardless of what I play. (they were not kidding when they said they did the demo in a few minutes.) It is a fantastic product .. period, and at the price this is a no brainer. Keep up the awesome work tonehammer!

Re: Forgotten voices - Francesca

Glad you're having fun with it. It sounds like an inspiring library. I'm rather intrigued by the "flute singing" style that's mentioned. I don't suppose you could give a short example of it could you?

Quote Originally Posted by doug gibson View Post
    Well... I downloaded and have been playing around for about an hour now. I think this gets a big thumbs up. It (so far) seems that it is impossible not to get an amazing sound regardless of what I play. (they were not kidding when they said they did the demo in a few minutes.) It is a fantastic product .. period, and at the price this is a no brainer. Keep up the awesome work tonehammer!

thanks for these first impressions! but...what I'm asking myself is, can you play convincing (legato) melody phrases, or is it just about firing off vocal licks with different keys and modwheel positions?

Quote Originally Posted by GigaLove View Post
    thanks for these first impressions! but...what I'm asking myself is, can you play convincing (legato) melody phrases, or is it just about firing off vocal licks with different keys and modwheel positions?
    +1 Can you play some oohs and aahs or is it just triggering a phrase from various start points?
    www.darrenpasdernick.com
    "Every time you play a wrong note God kills a kitten."

I dowloaded mine around a hour ago. Have to say that they are simply amazing. The sound is beautiful. Well done on this. Look forward to more.....Best, Joseph

Quote Originally Posted by folmann View Post
    Gentlemen,

The library is 100% phrase based, since there is no legato in this world that can even get close to the sophistication of the phrases. The reason for this is that the the human voice has an extreme range of timbre and when you cross through dynamics levels - it simply sounds artificial with legato. I have tried and experimented excessively with this. All that said ... The library is programmed in a way that allows you to seamlessly combine phrases by using mod-wheel (sample start control) and pitch-bender (time-stretching) in combination. The start control rocks, since you can start anywhere you want in the phrase and then connect it to another phrase in a similar way. It takes a little more work, but results are that much better.

I fully understand if you want legato anyway, but legato would never work for vocals like this, since there is too much variation in intonation, tonality, timbre and so forth.

All that said we have over 100 phrases in the library containing singular note chanting, which does take legato scripting (ex. SIPS) fairly well, but it will never sound convincing. Legato tends to work better for choirs and traditional UH, AH, EH, IH, OH type of phrases, which so many other libraries cover.

Hope that brings clarity to the question (back to sleep) ...
    Folmann,

Thanks for the info but just to clarify... There are some single note samples in the libray? In other words there are a few "ahs" or "ohs"? so that not all of our playing will contain words? (I hope this is making sense) EW's Voices of Passion has a wales singer who sings words like "breathe" but apparenty you can shift the sample start so that you get some nice "eee's" out of the end of the word. If this is what you are saying are these "single sounds" sampled for everynote across the range of the singer? In other words, no "chipmunks" as we move up the keys? Sorry if this sounds crazy. I'm just hoping I can get some more "generic" sounding vocal sounds as well as the phrases.

And as far as your comment on the "traditional UH, AH, EH, IH, OH type of phrases, which so many other libraries cover" nobody has a done that with a singer that sounds as great as yours.

Thanks for clarifying. What a great sounding library!

Darren
    www.darrenpasdernick.com
    "Every time you play a wrong note God kills a kitten."

Thanks for the kind words Mech and Darren.

The library does have single note phrases, however these are more Gregorian type of chanting phrases kept in the same note. You can sculpt a great deal out of these and tune them to fit a melody. Francesca is certainly singing a great deal of "Ahs" and "Ohs", but all integrated in the phrases, so you won't find the normal ah sustain chromatically sampled across 3 octaves. The reason is what vocals - for me - is about communicating emotion, which I believe this library fulfills. All the intensity and emotion dies when you do sample sessions like that, especially with something as expressive as a singer.

Go Back to forum