• Register
  • Help

Topic: Need help naming my piece!!!

Need help naming my piece!!!

Hey everyone,

I've been working on this piece off-and-on for about a year now, and I'm finally getting around to completing it. The only problem is I still do not have a title for the work. Although I would not be too upset to let it share the fate of my other works--that is, to receive a generic, one-word title--but I'd like to see what other people think.

What would you title my work? Or what emotions does it evoke in you? Does it remind you of anything?

Any help would be great, as would be any comments regarding the musicality and structure of the piece itself. I'm attaching a link to an mp3...please keep in mind that the work is not finished yet, although the major themes are generally in place.

Untitled Piece (mp3)

Thanks everyone!!

EDIT: The piece is now completed, but needs a (better) title!!

Re: Need help naming my piece!!!

First, I would ask you add some really nice reverb to the instruments. They sound very unnaturally dry and seem to be played in a very small padded cell. Not too much reverb, but enough to make them come alive. As good reverb as you an find. Convolution if you have it. Applying reverb seems to be an art in itself. Listen to what others have done (professionals that is)

As far as the music goes I think you have done exceptionally well. You have told a story and moved me.

My first stab at a name would be...

Journey From Uncertainty
    or Moving from Uncertainty

Funny - as a name can sometimes make or break a piece as it is the first short glimpse of a song.

Music happens to be an art form that transcends language. - Herbie Hancock

Thank you very much for your help, as well as your kind comments on my piece. I really like your title suggestion, and can't agree with you more that often a title can make-or-break a piece. As for the suggestion on reverb, I also agree; I used a trial version of Synful for this specific rendering of the piece, but once the piece is completely finished I will worry more about mixing it, probably using a handful of different sample instruments in Logic (I love their Space Designer convolution reverb--it's top notch.)

I am (for once) planning on having this played, as well as recorded, at a recital sometime in April, so a mock-up of the piece isn't 100% necessary, although it would certainly help me to improve my mixing skills.

Anyone else have any suggestions/comments? I'm mostly looking for titles (or at least a direction a could head to help me find one), but criticism of my work is always appreciated!!

Thanks again,

Thanks for the reply! I as a rule try to make the piece sound as good as possible as it takes a very skilled (not to mention patient) musician to look beyond the early mixing and lack of natural ambience to the actual music. The implementation of good mixing can make such a huge difference - ie one instrument getting lost in the mix or another stealing the show when it should not. All these little imperfections can only distract from what might be a truly great composition.

It's great that you can record the live performance - and share with us as well??.

All the best - Del
    Music happens to be an art form that transcends language. - Herbie Hancock

I would be more than happy to share the live recording...but first, I have to finish the piece!!

Hey all,

So I wasn't able to get a live recording done of my piece this semester (couldn't get an oboist), but hopefully I will be able to have it performed next semester. In the meantime, I've updated the link on the first post; it now links to the completed and mixed "recording".

I'm still open to ideas on the name of the piece, as well as any other comments you may have. I do have the score in a pdf if anyone would like to see it.

Go Back to forum