• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: SP2, SP3 or XP 64 BIT AND Gigastudio

Share/Bookmark

SP2, SP3 or XP 64 BIT AND Gigastudio

I use my PC with Gigastudio 3.25. It is a duo core AMD 6000. I have been using the regular XP Home version for a while with really no problems.

A tech guy noticed a yellow flag in the System and told me to upograde to SP2 or SP3 because a driver from the Chipset wasn't installed.

I upgraded to SP3 and no more yellow flags but big troubles with Gigastudio. So, I then read that Tascam supported SP2 with Gigastudio.OH!

Does anyone out there agree that my problems came with SP3 and that
    SP2 should only be installed to work with Gigastudio?

Is anyone out there using GV4 with XP64 and getting great results, even though its no longer supported as I may go that way.

Thanks!

Re: SP2, SP3 or XP 64 BIT AND Gigastudio

I'm still using GS4 on XP32. For a 64-bit upgrade to make sense, I need a motherboard that supports more RAM, a new OS - and a new, compatible soundcard.

Anyway, GS4 has been solid on XP32. I can't recall if I upgraded to SP3 though. I can check tonight...

Quote Originally Posted by JonFairhurst View Post
    I'm still using GS4 on XP32. For a 64-bit upgrade to make sense, I need a motherboard that supports more RAM, a new OS - and a new, compatible soundcard.

Anyway, GS4 has been solid on XP32. I can't recall if I upgraded to SP3 though. I can check tonight...
    I upgraded my XP32 machine to SP3 and my results are the same - perfect. Cant speak for GS4 on x64, though.

Belbin

I was in the situation, using GVI, where I wanted to install it but I had already moved up to SP3. Without rolling back to SP2, I had to do a registry hack to get GVI to install on my XP32 OS and then do another hack after installation to restore things to the SP3 state once again. Tascam basically dropped everything before SP3 came out and never provided any further updates to allow for it.
    Paul Baker
    Baker's Jazz And More
    Austin, Texas, USA
    www.bakersjazzandmore.com

Hi:

I only recently updated my GS3 PC with win XP32bit home from SP1 to SP2. The only reason I updated to SP2 is I am also thinking about using this PC to run EW play on standalone mode, which required SP2. If not for this I wouldv'e stuck with SP1. Initially I had problems even with SP2 which I later came to realize was not GS3 problem but outdated driver on my Audiophile sound card. Now everything is fine. I would not recommend going to SP3 with GS3. Gigastudio can have funny behavior with updates. I would recommend you roll back to SP2 and fix, and find other means to fix the flag issue.

I am not sure how many people are successfully running GS3 with SP3. Again why do you need SP3 for a daw. Well, I think lot of tech guys who know a lot about hitech gaming PC's stuff may not realize the stability requirements needed for a DAW. So I would recommend rolling back to SP1 or SP2. Mine works fine now with SP2. Also update you soundcard etc drivers appropriately.

Good Luck
    Dd

Quote Originally Posted by ddarwin7 View Post
    Hi:

I only recently updated my GS3 PC with win XP32bit home from SP1 to SP2. The only reason I updated to SP2 is I am also thinking about using this PC to run EW play on standalone mode, which required SP2. If not for this I wouldv'e stuck with SP1. Initially I had problems even with SP2 which I later came to realize was not GS3 problem but outdated driver on my Audiophile sound card. Now everything is fine. I would not recommend going to SP3 with GS3. Gigastudio can have funny behavior with updates. I would recommend you roll back to SP2 and fix, and find other means to fix the flag issue.

I am not sure how many people are successfully running GS3 with SP3. Again why do you need SP3 for a daw. Well, I think lot of tech guys who know a lot about hitech gaming PC's stuff may not realize the stability requirements needed for a DAW. So I would recommend rolling back to SP1 or SP2. Mine works fine now with SP2. Also update you soundcard etc drivers appropriately.

Good Luck
    Dd
    Thats exactley my situation. Anyhow, spoke to Jay up East West about SP3
    with Play and there are no problems. so I have installed SP3 amd we'll see.
    How qo you roll back to SP1? I see that you can just remove it like a program. Doesn't this screw up everything or is thats how its done?

a general rule of the thumb is: if it's not broken, do not fix it.
    so, if your system is performing well, simply don't do anything!

Quote Originally Posted by bosone View Post
    a general rule of the thumb is: if it's not broken, do not fix it.
    so, if your system is performing well, simply don't do anything!
    What he said ... x 1000 !

Quote Originally Posted by JamesBond007 View Post
    I use my PC with Gigastudio 3.25. It is a duo core AMD 6000. I have been using the regular XP Home version for a while with really no problems.

A tech guy noticed a yellow flag in the System and told me to upograde to SP2 or SP3 because a driver from the Chipset wasn't installed.

I upgraded to SP3 and no more yellow flags but big troubles with Gigastudio. So, I then read that Tascam supported SP2 with Gigastudio.OH!

Does anyone out there agree that my problems came with SP3 and that
    SP2 should only be installed to work with Gigastudio?

Is anyone out there using GV4 with XP64 and getting great results, even though its no longer supported as I may go that way.

Thanks!
    Define yellow flag. The only thing that might be included in SP3 is the AMD Dual Core optimizer.

What troubles are you having?

From my own testing you can't install GS4 over SP3.

I also running GS3 on a AMD 6400, XPSP3 with no problems.

I also think it's a bad idea wasting money on GS4. If you want to go XP64 (might be a waste of money too) better check see if any of your hardware is supported. You may have soundcard issues unless you are using a RME.

Quote Originally Posted by kitekrazy View Post
    Define yellow flag. The only thing that might be included in SP3 is the AMD Dual Core optimizer.

What troubles are you having?

From my own testing you can't install GS4 over SP3.

I also running GS3 on a AMD 6400, XPSP3 with no problems.

I also think it's a bad idea wasting money on GS4. If you want to go XP64 (might be a waste of money too) better check see if any of your hardware is supported. You may have soundcard issues unless you are using a RME.
    Hi,

The Yellow Flag was a system error showing that a driver was missing of unknown nature. Installing the SP2 solved the problem. All right!

I earlier installed SP3 and it caused major problems with Gigastudio. I also thought that Play Platinum may have caused the conflict too, but concluded it was the system upgrade. Is anyone running both Gigastudio and Play on the same computer, of course at different times, with no problems? is anyone running GVI and Play by chance?

With SP3 and Gigastudio, I couldn't load more then 20-23% of the sounds. The reason I went with SP3 was that I had the file and was to lazy to go to SP2 thinking it would be fine. Well I was wrong! Giga3 is also published as being only workable with SP1 or SP2, something I read after the fact.

Anyhow its all working great. Thanks.

Go Back to forum