• Register
  • Help

Topic: "Global" and Groove Lock/Simplify

Share/Bookmark

"Global" and Groove Lock/Simplify

I'm going to go back and check the videos again, but I thought that if you worked out some parameters for a part in Time Designer and then hit "Global," everything else you loaded into subsequent channels of a multi would have the same parameters. But I've loaded in a part, applied 16th note Groove lock, added some swing and simplified it, and when I go to load in a fill from the same suite in the next channel, all of those parameters are back at default - no groove lock, no swing, no simplification. What I am I missing here?

(Meanwhile, let me add to the chorus: this update is fantastic, and Spectrasonics rocks for making it a free download to users. Thanks!)

Re: "Global" and Groove Lock/Simplify

The way I understand it: the global switch needs to be on before you change parameters, to have them applied to the other parts. It's more like a "link" rather than a "copy settings" button.

werner

Correct.

If you'd like to work the way you described, you can use the "Copy/Paste Time Designer Preset" function in the preset drop-down menu.

Quote Originally Posted by dhamburger View Post
    I'm going to go back and check the videos again, but I thought that if you worked out some parameters for a part in Time Designer and then hit "Global," everything else you loaded into subsequent channels of a multi would have the same parameters....
    Dreamkeeper is correct: All time settings made after turning Global to On are applied to all other parts. One exception: Loading a Time Designer preset (the triangle at the top) does not get copied to other parts, even when Global is On (if you need to do that, use Copy and Paste on the preset menu). Clicking the Global button to On, by itself, does not do anything.

Wow, thanks for all the incredibly fast responses. O.k., that clarifies things. I did see in my re-viewing of the video the technique of copying settings into Presets, but this bit about clicking on Global first definitely clears things up. I'll try both out.

Hi, Since Eric and Neal are around....does global affect parts yet to be added in that instance of Stylus RMX?
    By that say I have four parts, and I have global on, what happens to the groove I add to the fifth part? Does that automatically have the global parameters of the first four parts? Or do I have to disable and re-enable global?
    thanks
    rsp
    richard sven
    sound sculptist
    ------------------
    Nuendo 4.3 | Intel DP35DP : Intel Quad Core QX 6700 : 4GB RAM | Windows XP Pro SP3 | Lynx Two C | Midisport 2x2 | 2xUAD-1, UAD-2 Quad |

Cubase 4.5.2 | MacBookPro 2.16 Ghz | 10.6.3 | 2GB | TC Konnekt 8

Quote Originally Posted by zvenx View Post
    Hi, Since Eric and Neal are around....does global affect parts yet to be added in that instance of Stylus RMX?
    By that say I have four parts, and I have global on, what happens to the groove I add to the fifth part? Does that automatically have the global parameters of the first four parts? Or do I have to disable and re-enable global?
    thanks
    rsp
    When you have Global on, all Time settings are applied to all parts, including parts that are empty (dont have a groove yet).

HOWEVER, when you load a groove into any part (empty or not), the "Settings" button on the Groove Browser determines what happens: If Settings is ON, then loading the groove will reset the time parameters; but if Settings is OFF, loading the Groove will leave the Time parameters as they are. In other words, if you want Global to be effective, you should make sure Settings button is OFF in the Groove Browser.

If you accidentally have Settings ON when you load a Groove, you can fix it by going to a part that has the desired time parameters, and use the Time Preset Menu (at the top of the Time window) and use Copy and Paste actions to copy the desired time parameters into the part that is not correct.

Video tutorials at www.spectrasonics.net (such as http://support.spectrasonics.net/ins...e_Designer.php) illustrate this, and other useful features of Time Designer.

thanks Neal. I did watch the tutorial a few times and I dont believe it answered that question....but you did answer a very important question for me cause with settings on accidentally I couldn't get the new part to follow global, now I realise what I had to do is copy settings.
    thanks
    rsp
    richard sven
    sound sculptist
    ------------------
    Nuendo 4.3 | Intel DP35DP : Intel Quad Core QX 6700 : 4GB RAM | Windows XP Pro SP3 | Lynx Two C | Midisport 2x2 | 2xUAD-1, UAD-2 Quad |

Cubase 4.5.2 | MacBookPro 2.16 Ghz | 10.6.3 | 2GB | TC Konnekt 8

Go Back to forum