• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Vocal sample library recommendations

Vocal sample library recommendations

Hi! I know this is my first post here, but I'll get right to business.

I'm looking for a sampled vocal library (not loop based, but playable like a VI). I have eastwest's symphonic choirs (the NI version), and I'd rather buy a new library than upgrade it to the PLAY edition as even with SIPS on in kontakt, it doesn't sound like it can compete with some of the other options out there.

So far I've listened to Bela D Media's Diva Revamp and Vocal Tools - Soprano, and they both sound great. I also took a look at the forgotten voices demos, but it's out since it's mostly loop-based and I just don't like working that way.
    QL Voices of Passion doesn't look like it's really a contender at $355, but if they have another 2-for-1 promo, it could be a good excuse to buy MoR or Silk.

Are there any other libraries or virtual instruments out there in the $100-$200 price range that are worth looking at? Solo voices are my primary concern, choirs are secondary as symphonic choirs fills that niche well enough.

Re: Vocal sample library recommendations

Check out the new Tonehammer library "Francesca." There's a bunch of recent threads with demos, and from what I've heard it sounds fantastic.

Thanks, JZilla. Looks like I made a typo in my original post and forgot to mention that I looked at forgotten voices - francesca and not the other ones. It sounds great, but it's loop based, and that's not what I'm looking for. Midi playability (even if it takes some setup first) is a must.

Well, I do not own Francesca yet, but I assumed or understood that it is looped base chromatically sampled where you can change the sample start point with the MW. BelaD use this as well, not in the same way they use KS instead, but I found phrases or loops to be somewhat more natural than regular Ah, Oh, ... and easy to build melody with different words. It's actually a lot lighter and faster than using SC, but agreed less versatile. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I like this new approach of loop base product and I think it could have a lot of potential with instruments ensemble(orchestras sections or pop brass).

Quote Originally Posted by labou View Post
    BelaD use this as well, not in the same way they use KS instead...
    Thank you for the mention .... Bela D Media uses its proprietary script called, Vocal Tools.

The VT script is a power tool that will unleash your creative genius. The script takes the, “Not a slave to the phrase” statement to a new and exciting level not yet matched. With this insightful and user friendly script, the user has complete control of any give phrase and its elements. From natural legato vocal lines to comprehensive phase manipulation in any key and tempo – the command is now in the hands of the composer!

Bela D Media | www.BelaDMedia.com

Thanks for the replies! Especially you, Francis

From what I can tell, your phrases refer to the pronounced phonemes and not the notes played, right? The blue keys represent the soprano's range and not individual melodic patterns, I'm assuming, and the red keys refer to loops?

Please correct me if I'm wrong!

Hi Diastolic,
    If you want to sing lyrics in different languages you could try before bye Myriad Harmony Asistant with Virtual Singer.

Hi Alex,

I remember listening to the Virtual Singer demos a while back, and they really didn't do it for me. I'm mostly concerned with how the line sounds and not if it's composed of the actual words, though having more than an "ooh" or "ah" definitely helps.

Francis, I took a look at the user's guide. Everything looked good...until I saw melodyne studio in there, since it's mostly used for pitch/timing manipulation on pre-recorded clips. From what I could tell, "pure phrases" are pre-recorded phrases in their entirety complete with pitch, timing, and everything. Am I mistaken? Those are just one part of the library, right?

Also, I'm a little confused as to legato. If you play an interval before the legato's timer goes off, will it still be legato, or do you need to plan out the timing before you play the phrase?

Also, can you set it so that different portions of the phrase are triggered on notes in case you're not looking for melismas?

Sorry for all the questions!

Go Back to forum