• Register
  • Help

Topic: Halion Symphonic Orchestra

Share/Bookmark

Halion Symphonic Orchestra

I guess I'm being lazy, but I'm waiting to get my Cubase 5 upgrade and now wondering if I need this or not.
    99$ is a good deal, but I already own GPO, Kontakt VSL Stuff and KH Emerald and I'm wondering if this could be useful or not. What I guess I find strange about this product is that I actually never heard of anybody mentioning it in good or bad way, does anybody around here using it? What's it's strengh or weakness?

Thanks.

Re: Halion Symphonic Orchestra

When I upgraded to Cubase 5 at the beginning of the month I found that you get this library in the box. You can use it free for 90 days once you have registered it.

I've got used to C5 now so on Tuesday I loaded HSO in. I'm favourably surprised although I've only tried the strings so far, although not all the sounds on the drop-downs appear to be on the disk (perhaps you get these when you pay for it)

As its free to try you have nothing to loose and if you don't like it remove it.

(Or are you saying that you don't get it free where you are? and need to pay for it). If you want to hear some of the sounds pm me and I will play a few notes onto mp3 and sent it you.
    Derek
    Things may come and things may go but the art school dance goes on forever
    NOW WITH Cubase 5, JABB,GPO, Fender Strat, Ibanez RG, Yamaha Fretless Bass, Framus Archtop, The Trumpet and Mr T Sax, together with GREEN SEALING WAX

What is the price of HSO if I might ask?

--JC

Quote Originally Posted by buckshead View Post
    When I upgraded to Cubase 5 at the beginning of the month I found that you get this library in the box. You can use it free for 90 days once you have registered it.

I've got used to C5 now so on Tuesday I loaded HSO in. I'm favourably surprised although I've only tried the strings so far, although not all the sounds on the drop-downs appear to be on the disk (perhaps you get these when you pay for it)

As its free to try you have nothing to loose and if you don't like it remove it.

(Or are you saying that you don't get it free where you are? and need to pay for it). If you want to hear some of the sounds pm me and I will play a few notes onto mp3 and sent it you.

Thanks Derek, I haven't received my upgrade yet, so I guess I will install it and see. The reason I asked is that I have limited time now and just installing and trying out stuff is time consuming and I was telling myself that if I never heard of it around here and that if I ask and everybody told me to not bother I will just forget about it. But I finally red interesting reviews.

I think the demo should include everything, but only the 16bit version.

Suntower, I think it is 499$ for the full version and 250$ for the crossgrade including 16/24bit and 99$ for only the 16bit version if you have Cubase 5.

Just received C5 and am auditioning HSO.

I have to say I have mixed feelings. On the one hand, if one has no other sample libs, or maybe something like GPO, this is a no-brainer for $99. I don't think 16 bit libs sound all that bad... even today... and the raw sounds are really very nice and full.

OTOH, maybe it's just me but I guess I expect -more- now in 2009. I expect some true legato (monophonic). And I expect some decent portamento, not the crappy pitch bend wheel. IOW: I expect any lib to have the features of a VSL or a 'The Trumpet' or 'Stradivarius', which obviously, the Hal engine can't do.

So, even @ $99 I dunno if I can recommend it. I think I'd suggest to newbies to keep the money and wait for GPO-2, which I would expect -will- have those things.

That said, the basic sounds ARE very good and I probably -will- get the $99 special... simply because one can never have too many colours for backgrounds (I hate how all game programs and DVD scores tend to sound like every composer has the same sampler.)

---JC

the strings are nice especially with the spiccato and pizz. strings that have both loose and tight articulations. I never use it by itself any longer though so perhaps I am not too objective. I do like its sound though.

Go Back to forum