• Register
  • Help

Topic: Adagio for Strings

Share/Bookmark

Adagio for Strings

Well, with much tweaking and some coaching by my mentor who has been working with me to improve my Carterian style, here is the completed

Adagio for Strings

It has grown from a simple exercise in atonal writing to this work which I offer to you today to listen. The original work study can be listened to on this thread:

http://67.228.125.226/forum/showthread.php?t=65104

This is for those that would like to compare the evolution of this work.

Your friend,
    Bill
    We dream to write and we write to dream.

Challenge #10 Winner

Re: Adagio for Strings

Most interesting stuff. Throw in a bit reverb, please. Just a bit, not too much and you have a great performance. I liked it. Nice developments from a simple opening to more sophisticated tonal scales, or should I say atonal. I am still puzzled about the definition of atonal compared to tonal with a lot of dissonants. You've put them well in place, those dissonants, developing interesting sounding chords.

Raymond

So, this is why you have been incognito for the past week? Hmmm.....

I hear interesting lines weaving through this adagio. The punctuations are nice and give much needed contrast. I feel it is a little harsh to my ears and that may be due to the type and amount of reverb. Musically the piece works. It is nice to hear the finished piece. Thanks
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Hi Bill.
    A nice work using all of the string colors.
    Space for 2 players instead of tutti all the time.
    I didn't feel a conclusion except a mental continuation of roaming thru the woods. That could really be a purpose.
    I did continue with the feeling after it stopped. A good sign to me.

Gary

Thumbs up Re: Adagio for Strings

Hi Bill,

Nice intimate dissonant string feeling, beautiful in its solemnity. I liked it!
    The music could be used in a movie as well.

Fred

Good work Bill. You've done alot of work on this since the first post. I like the character of the music you've drawn out.

Nicely done.

Steve Winkler

Bill

This is a very tasteful and skillful work of atonality.

Some younger composers feel that atonality means no structure; just a free for all of notes and rhythms.

Very nice work on this

Ron
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

http://composersforum.ning.com/profile/RonaldFerguson

Raymond - thanks for listening. I will try it with some more reverb and see what I think. Atonal does not mean dissonant, thought there is plenty of dissonant atonal music. All musical forms rely on the use of consonance and dissonance with their resolutions. Scales can be created in the atonal framework just as easily as in the tonal world. Chords are just the vertical alignment of notes, the resulting sound will be more or less consonant. It is how the consances and dissonances resolve themselves that creates the flow of the music. I am glad you enjoyed this work.

RichR - Thanks for listening and yes I have been incognito here. Concerts last week, and family obligations tend to slow the pace of coming here. I am not sure what you meant by harsh - Volume? Dissonance? Not sure why reverb would change those? I did use the solo Garritan KS strings for the instruments. It sounds wonderful as a chamber orchestra realization - maybe I should post that.

Gary - To me the rest is the final chord which resolves much of the dissonant and strident movement earlier. Thanks for listening and I am glad you enjoyed it.

Fred - Thanks for listening. I too feel that dissonance can portray beauty and loneliness, the two emotions I was after.

Steve - Thanks for listening, it's been truly a journey from the first form of this to what you hear now. I am glad you enjoyed it.

Ron - You are correct, most atonal music has tons of structure, but much is lost to the untrained ear. It is a more structured and very difficult framework to listen to and requires study and several listenigs. I don't count my example as that difficult (a simple A B A canonic form). Thanks for listening, I am glad you enjoyed it.

Best Regards,
    Bill

Challenge #10 Winner

I am not sure what you meant by harsh - Volume? Dissonance?
    There is nothing wrong with the music. I like the quality. I just wanted a little reverb to take the edge of the string parts. Either that or my tinnitus is causing the problems.
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by RichR View Post
    There is nothing wrong with the music. I like the quality. I just wanted a little reverb to take the edge of the string parts. Either that or my tinnitus is causing the problems.
    Hey, I got tin in my itus too!

Bill

Challenge #10 Winner

Go Back to forum