Below is the message I sent to Spectrasonics support.
I have confirmed this issue on three different pc systems (Two of my own and one a friend who has a similar system).
I'm suprised there have been no posts other than myself.
When the Cubase timeline is in-between bars (not playing) and is stopped on
an uneven part of a measure (eg. bar 220.127.116.11), the loops do not loop or
sync properly when auditioning in RMX.
Dragging and dropping causes no problems.
As soon as I place the timeline indicator on an exact measure
(18.104.22.168) looping is perfect.
After installing on a second pc using Vstack the same results ensued.
Even though VStack has no timeline, it has a transport bar that displays bar
values. After doing the same test and changing the transport display to an
uneven measure (0001.01.01.003) loops do not sync. As soon as I type in 000
in the last three digits, syncing is perfect.
All of the above is true with the host sync button in RMX off.
The only difference may be that when I first load Cubase, everything seems to stay sync regardless of the timeline. If I then move the timeline to an odd fraction of a measure the out of sync problem returns.
As well renaming in the edit suite buffer doesn't work in Cubase but works in VStack on my other machine.
On PC, Cubase 5, w/ RMX v1.7.1e, I also have almost total lack of sync in RMX when the transport of Cubase is at STOP on any point *other* than exactly beat 1 of any measure. It means, with Cubase transport stopped and the cursor anywhere other than beat 1 of a bar -- the RMX "play" button is hit, all the loops/parts of RMX start playing -- but they go out of sync almost immediately. No difference with "Host Sync" engaged or not (not that it should make a difference anyway).
With the cursor on beat 1 of any measure, AND/OR once the Cubase transport is going (playing the song), RMX syncs to tempo perfectly -- and of course, when the song is playing the new "Host Sync" also works perfectly, starting RMX loops mid-measure when appropriate (GREAT feature, BTW!!!).
Would appreciate a fix for this one, I spent a good while thinking I was going bonkers before I saw this post!!
It works fine here in Cubase 4 and 5 on windows. It might be something unusual about your configuration or song, so please send the details, including a .cpr file which demonstrates the problem, to tech support (http://support.spectrasonics.net). Thanks.
Thanks, Glenn -- already sent email to tech support -- but nothing to send, it's just the default .cpr that loads -- I instantiate one RMX, load it up with some loops, and the described behaviour is there.
I'm using XP SP2, Cubase 5, using MOTU 896mk3 interface, with MIDISPORT 2x2 for MIDI.
Anyway -- I will follow up with tech support -- I am aware that THAT is the correct place to report wierdness.
I have been in contact with tech support and was told a fix would available tomorrow March 14.
Glenn if you read my original post it states the problem with two completely different hosts (although Steinberg).