• Register
  • Help

Topic: Stylus RMX Question -- Edit Groups and FX

Share/Bookmark

Stylus RMX Question -- Edit Groups and FX

Hello Everyone,

This is for Edit Group gurus.

I've been extremely impressed by the functionality that Edit Groups provide for crafting grooves in Stylus, but I keep running into a problem and I can't for the life of me figure it out.

Which I'm sure means that it's dead simple and I'm just missing it.

I've combed the documentation, I've watched as many related videos as I can find -- some of them, like "Edit Groups" and "Edit Groups -- Going Deeper," twice!

The question is this. When I'm in Groove Menu mode, and I've got a great Suite going, and I've gone to the trouble of developing great FX on selected Edit Groups within that Suite -- How the hell do I hold on to the FX??? Every time I navigate away from that Suite, to go scrounge other elements or whatever, when I return, my Edit Groups are still there but the FX are completely wiped.

This happens both with "Settings" enabled and disabled.

I'm stumped.

It CAN'T be this hard.

If someone could help me out, I would be MOST grateful.

Mucho Thankio.

Cheers!

PS. And OMG yes, the update is fantastic. It's the only reason I've been working with it again. Cheers.

Re: Stylus RMX Question -- Edit Groups and FX

Edit groups only make sense for the currently selected suite. When you change to another suite,those edit groups no longer make sense and are deleted. So, if you're working with a suite and don't want to lose your edit groups, don't change to another suite.

If you want to audition grooves in other suites, use another part to do the browsing.

- Glenn

Okay, I'll adapt.

Thanks for taking the time to respond, Glenn.

Cheers,
    Seth

Upon further thought, though -- -- I have to say, while it's obviously true that FX for one Suite won't work with a different Suite, it's hardly farfetched to think that a Suite should remember its state. Of course one doesn't want all FX for all Suites up and running, but a streamlined option to "Load Previous FX?" automatically is hardly wacky.

Worse though, is the loss of the FX one has labored on without any warning or streamlined option to save. "Save FX Settings?" seems like a fast and above all sensible dialog.

Just my two cents, of course.

Cheers all.

Seth - this may be obvious, but you can recall all settings for a suite if you save as multi before switching - even if it's only 1 part. I've tried it and it seems to work.

I guess it would be technically no problem to retain the settings for a whole suite and automatically recall whenever this suite is active, as an option - worth considering for a future update imho. Or maybe a "quick-save" button to store the state as a temporary multi?

werner

Yes, Werner, you're quite right. Definitely not a big deal; more in the "idea for future update" category. It just seemed odd to me that a warning dialog wasn't included, which led to the other thoughts.

I'll just reiterate that it's kooky not to have a warning that, even when specifically saving a temporary Suite buffer to a new Suite, one is about to lose the FX one just slaved over.

Really, it seems almost ungrateful to quibble about such points. The Time Designer -- particularly Groove Lock and Simplify -- has really reawakened my delight in this program, to such a degree that I think I'm going to find it useful in a way it never was before. It makes small complaints seem almost churlish.

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Empty Planet View Post
    ...The Time Designer -- particularly Groove Lock and Simplify -- has really reawakened my delight in this program, to such a degree that I think I'm going to find it useful in a way it never was before...

Cheers.
    Imagine how I feel having ignored this little gem that is RMX for quite some time, thinking it was just another drum synth, and now realizing that the thousand$ that I have spent on other synths in search of the elusive muse now seem primitive by comparison.
    Another nifty little feature in Time Designer is the pattern changer. I put a simple funk guitar loop in there simplified it a bit, sprinkled some buzz on it and I was amazed at the variety of "chops" that I could dial up just by changing the pattern. Time Designer also works a treat on bass guitar loops.

Go Back to forum