• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Glitching in Omnisphere after Adjusting Streaming

Share/Bookmark

Glitching in Omnisphere after Adjusting Streaming

Omnisphere users,

I am on the new update that just came out. Really enjoying the Mystic Rhodes Dream patch. But, I just cannot totally get rid of the pops/cracks or glitching (which ever you prefer to call it).

I don't think the issue is with Sonar 8.3 as I've adjusted all the possible tweaks with no change (fast bounce off, read disk buffers, 64 bit, multiprocessor switch, ASIO buffer ). Also I never use more than 5% of each of the Quad cores and don't have problems with other patches or audio tracks.

Just have problems freezing (or just playing back for that matter) this one patch in Omnisphere. There may be other patches that have a similar issue, but I have not explored them all yet ;-)

I've tried all the parameters in the Spectrasonics FAQs on streaming. I can turn streaming off totally and get the pops down to one or two sometimes. But I cannot get a consistently pop-free bounce. I've also left on all the streaming parameters and tweaked the Pre-load memory size, stream break, and others. Again, I can dial it down to just a few pops. So I do make progress, but I can never get them all to disappear long enough to get a good bounce.

I have implemented all the Windows XP performance tweaks in that Spectrasonics FAQ. But, I don't think my machine is even close to being 1/4 utilized.

Looking for ideas before I place a call into spectrasonics support.

Tobias

[Intel Pent Quad core Q6700 2.66Ghz, 4GB RAM, One spindle dedicated to audio and one to samples and one to system use. GE Force 8400 duel head graphics.]
    Tobias
    San Diego, CA
    USA

Re: Glitching in Omnisphere after Adjusting Streaming

Update: also tried moving the STEAM directory to another disk but this did not fix the problem. Seems like Omnishpere is the one not handling the data fast enough on a large patch?
    Tobias
    San Diego, CA
    USA

See the "Streaming, Freezing, and Bouncing" FAQ at support.spectrasonics.net.

- Glenn

Tobias,
    a question for you: are you leaving the computer on all the time or have you restarted it lately?
    I have encountered times where I got glitches and could not get rid of them. After I restarted my computer everything was gone.

Very interesting. I have restarted my computer in the quest to solve this issue. Thanks for suggesting however. Spectrasonics support did reply to say they are working/investigating this.
    Tobias
    San Diego, CA
    USA

I tried that patch, DREAM OF THE MYSTIC RHODES, on my Core 2 Duo with no problem. This doesn't help you though.

Ah, but yes, it does help in a strange and remote way. I had always wondered if there was something about that patch that Omnisphere struggled with - strange to assume I know. But it just strikes me so odd that I cannot dial out the glitches.

I am starting to wonder now if the new version of Omnisphere and the latest graphics driver I have for the GEForce are struggling to co-exist. In a different and seemingly unrelated problem, my entire system will cough and sputter if I open any of my VSTIs or VSTs - loud buzzing sound plus the song will stop playing while the graphics interface opens. Now, this only happens on the current project where I have 3 instances of Omnsphere, two instances of RMX, and 4 audio tracks. And, it only happens if I am in play mode. Otherwise the VSTI interface opens without a hitch.

I'll add that this new symptom seems typical of a system out of resources. But I tell you I spent probably too much money on the hardware to make sure that would not happen to me. I monitor memory and always seem to have over 1GB available when the problem happens. I also have 6GB of swap set up. But, with Windows, you never really know. (HMMMM, Macbook Pro starting to sound interesting about now)

Further thoughts?
    Tobias
    San Diego, CA
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by Tobias7000 View Post
    Ah, but yes, it does help in a strange and only happens on the current project where I have 3 instances of Omnsphere, two instances of RMX, and 4 audio tracks. And, it only happens if I am in play mode. Otherwise the VSTI interface opens without a hitch.
    How many patches are you using when you say 3 INSTANCES OF OMNISPHERE.

You do know that you can have 8 patches loaded in each instance, right?

I should try that. Since I freeze the instances I am not editing, I thought no big deal. I will try this for the non-stacked sounds and get back to this thread.
    Tobias
    San Diego, CA
    USA

I just have XP 32 bit. I've always just loaded what I need for each song project and don't have instruments loaded up that I'm not using. Actually, I've never had more than 1 instance of Omnisphere in a song.

Go Back to forum