• Register
  • Help

Topic: Stylus RMX

Share/Bookmark

Stylus RMX

I'm thinking about buying Stylus RMX.
    Couple of questions though:

- Is there any other similar products out there that would be worth checking out?
    - Is it CPU hungry? (For example compared to Omnisphere)
    - Does it have same kind of principles with the user interface and menus and with modulations? (For example modulations can be made with right click)
    - Are all the pots and sliders automatable?
    - Will there be RMX 2 or something like that, and I should wait for it instead?

Re: Stylus RMX

Let me jump in here 'cause I'm new to Spectrasonics products so you won't get the opinion of a jaded fanboi.
    This thing is AMAZING! I am not new to computer music(9 years on) and I own ALOT of software instruments and FX e.g.- Many NI stuff including Reaktor, all things IK, Addictive Drums, and Ableton Live's non-linear elastic sequencer.

There is nothing out there that compares with RMX for creating custom grooves, even using your existing material. Even my beloved Ableton Live pales by comparison. Keep in mind, I haven't even installed the FIVE Xpander DVD's that came with the package and I'm totally blown away with what I can do already.
    Within moments I can conjure up a crazy-sick, intricate groove and am amazed that the CPU hit is a mere 3-5%!

From my understanding everything within RMX is fully automatable although I'm having controller-specific issues atm.

Spectrasonics just released a free update to 1.7.1 that adds even crazier new features that any another developer would have probably released worthy of a 2.0 sticker price.

Keep in mind, I've only had this for three days so maybe I'm still a bit giddy. (And my wife is not happy with the fact that I haven't left the house)
    All this time I used to think that RMX was just another drum synth so I didn't look into it until someone posted a video of Eric showing version 1.7 at NAMM and that's when I had my eureka moment and went on a mission to get the Xpander version.

IMHO- The thing that sets Stylus RMX apart from other "drum" synths is it's uniquely powerful(yet simple) approach to rhythm part creation, and with it's ability manipulate simple bass and keys chord progression loops you can create your own original and complete rhythm parts that go far beyond mere "beat" making.

Edited to add... there's only one place in the entire program where I found context-sensitive right click menus... a whopping TWO of them in the FX bin. But it's definitely not a show-stopper for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Mulperi View Post

It depends mostly on the effects you're using. As there can be 16 edit groups per part active at a time, all with their individual FX rack of 3 effects each, plus AUX sends and master rack... anything from almost no CPU hit to maxing out even fast systems seems possible.

- Does it have same kind of principles with the user interface and menus and with modulations? (For example modulations can be made with right click)
    RMX has no mod matrix like Omni. Modulations are hardwired with their dedicated LFOs and envelopes -again separate for each edit group.

- Are all the pots and sliders automatable?
    Everything can be MIDI-controlled, but at this point only the most important controls are provided for host automation, such as mixer parameters or part play buttons. Though Glenn has hinted at there being changes on the way, probably then with Omni-type right-click control > "enable host automation".

- Will there be RMX 2 or something like that, and I should wait for it instead?
    Almost certainly there will be at some point, but only the STEAM knows when. I wouldn't wait if I were in your shoes.

Let me add: I have RMX a few weeks now, and I'm blown away by its quality (both, the software AND the library). Ever since I ventured into that music thang some years ago, I used to look down my nose at "loop-players". If I'd only known what I was missing... this thing is just incredible! Highly inspiring, very versatile even with "only" the included material, that can be mangled beyond recognition. If you want to use your own audio files, you will need Propellerhead's Recycle to convert them into REX loops, which then import into Stylus RMX.

May I suggest you do the same as I did, when I became interested in RMX (mostly triggered by the experience of Omnisphere's superior quality), and watch all the tutorial videos that are available. They're well done and will show you the potential of that beast much better than anyone could tell you. As registered Omni customer you have access to the RMX stuff as well, so check it out.

werner

Btw is there somewhere a list of presets for RMX like for Omnisphere?

I would like to know is there any synth pop, or 80s loops

Btw is there somewhere a list of presets for RMX like for Omnisphere?

I would like to know is there any synth pop, or 80s loops
    With the core library there's all sorts of presets. And you can add to your library with Sage Expanders. Your best source of information is on the Spectrasonics website. Check out the videos.

I've got my eye on Styrus RMX I'm new to music production only just got Omnisphere & Alicia's Keys. With Trillian coming out on the steam engine also I'm worried Styrus might follow and I will not have the best drum software a few months after buying. I'm fussy and like knowing im working with the latest and best software thats why I got Omnisphere. Should I wait?

Sod it I've just seen the product demo video gona buy it soon as I have enough beer tokens can always pay the upgrade price if their is ever a steam version of it.
    Last edited by Kaboom; 05-08-2010 at 11:46 PM. Reason: after thaught

Stylus is based on the SAGE engine which is Spectrasonics grooveoptimized environment.
    STEAM is for synthstuff.
    There is no reason to wait to purchase RMX.
    It comes with a great selection of beats and sounds covering a lot of ground from electronica to acoustic in the expanded version and you can import Rexfiles to even expand it further.
    Its supereasy to use and very inspiring.
    Best choice for contemporary drums in the box.

Thanks for the info Hans I'll cut down on the beers and get Stylus RMX baught asap.

Much less cpu needed for RMX.
    RMX is awesome. There's nothing like it that I know about.

Along with the standard expansion packs included there are quite a few 3rd party expansion packs that are seriously awesome.

"Ethno / Techno"
    and
    "World Grooves"

...are 2 that I can highly recommend.

Go Back to forum