• Register
  • Help

Topic: Glitching in RMX 1.7.1e

Share/Bookmark

Glitching in RMX 1.7.1e?

Here's some "situations" I've encountered particularly in Live(7.014).

I created a four-part custom multi from SAGE converted rex files. When I trigger a part with the part play button I've noticed that the part will be out of sync with rest of the groove for the first 3 or 4 beats and then it seems to "catch-up" just fine. Very little craziness going on with only mild Chaos or Time design modulation applied to each part.
    I don't think it has to do with my resources as there's only a 3% CPU hit during playback. My system specs are:
    Echo Indigo IOx @ 512 buffers (11.6 ms latency); Vista 32-bit; Core2Duo(1.66GHz); 3 GB RAM

edit- another weird thing that I noticed is that the main output slider only controls the volume of the first part of a multi-timbral routing scheme. For some reason output A is not available for assignment to the corresponding audio tracks that I created to accommodate my multi-timbral scheme. Even when I've assigned the audio of each part it's own unique output, there's still audio "leaking" from the midi track where I inserted RMX. Even with monitoring turned off and audio output to that track turned off! The output level is very low but I have to assign it's output to "sends only" to get it to be totally silent. fwiw- all the parts play just fine from their assigned audio tracks and I can even record the audio in real time to those tracks.

and yet another glitch... I've watched the videos for implementing multitimbral routing schemes in both Ableton's Live(7.014) and Cakewalk's Sonar(8 Pro). I was able to reproduce these schemes in both sequencers as advertised. I can drag and drop the midi file for each part from RMX into it's corresponding midi track in the host sequencer. Then I turn them into loops so that I can stretch them out on the timeline. However, here's what I've noticed; When the midi files play back through RMX none of the madness that I painstakingly created for each part in Time designer or Chaos designer is being applied. They just play back straight! Of course, I have sync turned off in RMX so that only the midi data from the host sequencer is being read. What's going on here? Is this a feature or a flaw? It seems that once the midi data resides outside of the RMX plugin the algorhythms are not being applied?

Re: Glitching in RMX 1.7.1e?

Quote Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
    Here's some "situations" I've encountered particularly in Live(7.014).

I created a four-part custom multi from SAGE converted rex files. When I trigger a part with the part play button I've noticed that the part will be out of sync with rest of the groove for the first 3 or 4 beats and then it seems to "catch-up" just fine. Very little craziness going on with only mild Chaos or Time design modulation applied to each part.
    I don't think it has to do with my resources as there's only a 3% CPU hit during playback. My system specs are:
    Echo Indigo IOx @ 512 buffers (11.6 ms latency); Vista 32-bit; Core2Duo(1.66GHz); 3 GB RAM
    Maybe a problem with the rex files? I'd send them to tech support (http://support.spectrasonics.net) along with a Live set that demonstrates the problem.

edit- another weird thing that I noticed is that the main output slider only controls the volume of the first part of a multi-timbral routing scheme. For some reason output A is not available for assignment to the corresponding audio tracks that I created to accommodate my multi-timbral scheme. Even when I've assigned the audio of each part it's own unique output, there's still audio "leaking" from the midi track where I inserted RMX. Even with monitoring turned off and audio output to that track turned off! The output level is very low but I have to assign it's output to "sends only" to get it to be totally silent. fwiw- all the parts play just fine from their assigned audio tracks and I can even record the audio in real time to those tracks.
    Output A goes through the RMX master fader. All the other outputs do not. That's because typically you're using multiple outputs because you want to mix in your host. Further, the output of the Aux effects racks always goes to output A, regardless of the output assignment of the part. That's probably what you're perceiving as leaking audio.

and yet another glitch... I've watched the videos for implementing multitimbral routing schemes in both Ableton's Live(7.014) and Cakewalk's Sonar(8 Pro). I was able to reproduce these schemes in both sequencers as advertised. I can drag and drop the midi file for each part from RMX into it's corresponding midi track in the host sequencer. Then I turn them into loops so that I can stretch them out on the timeline. However, here's what I've noticed; When the midi files play back through RMX none of the madness that I painstakingly created for each part in Time designer or Chaos designer is being applied. They just play back straight! Of course, I have sync turned off in RMX so that only the midi data from the host sequencer is being read. What's going on here? Is this a feature or a flaw? It seems that once the midi data resides outside of the RMX plugin the algorhythms are not being applied?
    See the Capture Chaos topic in the reference guide. That will show you how to capture as much of the chaos as is possible in midi. To get all the mayhem, you may need to capture the audio in your host.

- Glenn

Re: Glitching in RMX 1.7.1e?

Quote Originally Posted by GlennO View Post
    See the Capture Chaos topic in the reference guide. That will show you how to capture as much of the chaos as is possible in midi. To get all the mayhem, you may need to capture the audio in your host.

- Glenn
    I saw the video on that. So then my suspicion of Chaos or Time design algorithms not being applied to midi data from sources outside of the plugin are a design limitation? How do we capture Time Designer frills? Yes, I'm already recording to discreet audio tracks in my host but then why bother dragging data into the host in the first place if the coolest features of the plugin will not be applied on playback?

Re: Glitching in RMX 1.7.1e

Yes, if you make Time Designer changes to the groove, those changes will be included in the midi you drag from RMX.

- Glenn

Go Back to forum