• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Troubles with Symphobia producing off beat tracks (Pic + sample inside)

Share/Bookmark

Angry Troubles with Symphobia producing off beat tracks (Pic + sample inside)

Hi,

I noticed something really annoying in Symphobia when using strings staccatos. When I load the 14 str ens staccato pno stage patch for example, play and record some notes, quantize everything and then playback everything, I get offbeats notes here and there which is totally awful...

A picture and a sound sample should explain and illustrate this better than words:

With everything quantized to 100%

... here is what I get:

http://xxxxxx.xxxxx.xxxxx/offbeat.symphobia.stac.mp3

Even when notes have the same length, velocity and are 100% quantized I still get offbeat notes.

I thought I could manually arrange that by checking and moving the offbeat notes. But it doesn't solve the problem since the offbeat notes are not always the same ones. It seems to change at each playback...
    So I was thinking about bouncing the staccato parts and then importing the resulting audio into my DAW and then again manually arrange notes one by one to end up with a listenable result. But this is clearly not a solution... AT ALL. Imagine you have to do this on a 60 minutes track?

So has any of you noticed this? How do I manage to solve this offbeat problem?

I can't wait to read your replies. I hope I'll find a solution for this because I really like Symphobia's sounds and wouldn't like to have to put in in the closet because of this matter.

Thanks in advance!

Re: Troubles with Symphobia producing off beat tracks (Pic + sample inside)

For some reason my browser is not playing the audio file(it's my browser, not your file, I promise).

Maybe you can send a MIDI file over and I can test it? I'd be happy to confirm or not confirm it if possible. I don't use Cubase though, so it would have to be a MIDI file. I use Sonar and Samplitude.

Brent

I guess what you hear is the overlapping of the notes now and then that causes the legato script kicking in. What happens if you try to shorten the notes to about the half of their lengths (like it should be in the real world)?
    All your strings belong to me!
    www.strings-on-demand.com

I finally got my browser to stop acting stupid and heard the file. It does sound like the legato may have kicked in. I would try Hannes' suggestion, and if that doesn't solve it, send the MIDI file over or let us download it to see if it can be reproduced.

Brent

Thanks you for your answers.

I tried what you suggested, Hannes, removed the overlapping notes and also shortened them, but I ended with the very same result! No need to post another audio file since I really get the exact same thing.

If it sounds the same then the legato is still working, at least we are hearing it in your sound file.

Look up whether you can deactivate "legato" in the player. Be sure there is no pedal pressed anywhere.

Question: why are you using maximum velocity and it does not sound like fortissimo? Is everything in order with the other controls you need (I think it is cc01 or modwheel in Symphobia) and maybe cc07 or cc11.
    All your strings belong to me!
    www.strings-on-demand.com

Thanks for your leads! Well there is no pedal pressed anywhere. I just created a new project, loaded the K2 player with symphobia, loaded a patch and played 2 notes repeatedly with velocity at max and fully quantized.

There doesn't seem to be any legato or legato option available for this patch:

I deactivated the release trigger but couldn't even hear a single difference. I also turned the velocity knob around with no luck. I also tried to turn on the "repetition" button, same thing.

I think this really the fortissimo layer that's played in the audio clip. I tried other velocities and it smooths down everything.

Also, there is no problem with my modwheel on Symphobia (when a patch has a mod script or layer).

Quote Originally Posted by Innervision View Post
    There doesn't seem to be any legato or legato option available for this patch:

That's because there isn't legato when using staccato - how could there be?

I just tried the same thing using the same patch and quantized it - couldn't get it to sound like yours. Are you sure the quantize is set absolutely correct?

Quote Originally Posted by PaulR View Post
    I just tried the same thing using the same patch and quantized it - couldn't get it to sound like yours. Are you sure the quantize is set absolutely correct?
    It does seem this way from the images he posted... :-/

I do remember a problem with another library, which only happened at full velocity. I would attempt to bet that lowering the velocity might fix things. I mean, it might be a problem with the library, but a phrase even that long at 127 velocity doesn't seem so 'realistic' so to speak.

Best of luck, either way.

I would have been surprised if there were any legato options for the staccatos but with softwares, you never know!

Well, Paul, what you're saying is reassuring and worrying me at the same time. If you can't reproduce my sound clip it, I don't understand what could possibly cause this...! My notes were fully quantized, I'm sure of that, I even tried several times and got the very same results. Do you mind posting your what you get with full velocity and quantize at 100%?

Nikolas, my initial midi event with this patch has velocities ranging from 80 to 120 and I had those off beat notes. That's why I tried an experiment at full velocity to see if I would still have the same result, hence my thread Thanks for the lead, it could have been that.

Go Back to forum