• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21

Topic: Sonatine for piano 2nd movt

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1

    Sonatine for piano 2nd movt

    Hi everyone,

    I posted the first movement of this sonatine a while ago. I have now completed the second movement. It is night music. Very simple and very short. But for me it is about emotion. I hope you will enjoy it.

    It is played with the basic version of the Garritan Steinway.

    Nocturne

    If you want to follow a rough score you can find it here.

    If you missed the first movement you can listen here.

    The score includes both movements at the moment.

    Thank you for listening.
    Kind Regards

    Louis Dekker
    My Music Site

    Pour être grand, il faut avoir été petit.

  2. #2
    Senior Member bigears's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Central Illinois
    Posts
    1,053

    Re: Sonatine for piano 2nd movt

    Hi Louis, I found this movement to be wonderfully dark and somber. The ending left me feeling a bit more positive. Was that in preparation for another movement?
    Great writing and a great sound from the Steinway. Thanks for sharing this work with us! John

  3. #3

    Re: Sonatine for piano 2nd movt

    Louis

    That was beautiful.

    Since you did not ask for opinions, I will give you mine

    Dissonance is not for everyone but IMO you did a fantastic job with it in this one. The piece is very tonal, but keeps us guessing where the center of tonality is.

    Again, just my opinion, but I think that the right hand in measure 18 is off. I can't tell you the right chords that need to be there, but to me something is amiss.

    I would say that is not too bad If I can only pick out 3 notes I don't like.

    See what you get for posting a score?

    Well done

    Ron
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

    http://composersforum.ning.com/profile/RonaldFerguson

  4. #4

    Re: Sonatine for piano 2nd movt

    Quote Originally Posted by bigears View Post
    Hi Louis, I found this movement to be wonderfully dark and somber. The ending left me feeling a bit more positive. Was that in preparation for another movement?
    Great writing and a great sound from the Steinway. Thanks for sharing this work with us! John
    Thank you for listening. Dark and somber was the intention and I am glad that it came across this way. And indeed a nice D major cadence does make one feel a little uplifted. Yes, it is now awaiting the third movement attacca subito.....
    Kind Regards

    Louis Dekker
    My Music Site

    Pour être grand, il faut avoir été petit.

  5. #5

    Re: Sonatine for piano 2nd movt

    Quote Originally Posted by rolifer View Post
    Louis

    That was beautiful.

    Since you did not ask for opinions, I will give you mine

    Dissonance is not for everyone but IMO you did a fantastic job with it in this one. The piece is very tonal, but keeps us guessing where the center of tonality is.

    Again, just my opinion, but I think that the right hand in measure 18 is off. I can't tell you the right chords that need to be there, but to me something is amiss.

    I would say that is not too bad If I can only pick out 3 notes I don't like.

    See what you get for posting a score?

    Well done

    Ron
    Ron, thank you for taking the time to listen and look at the score. I'm glad you did give your opinion. I never "ask" that, but of course I appreciate any opinions. My wife, for example, is very harsh when it comes to my music, and I appreciate her honesty....

    As for the chords you mention: I think they sound more dissonant because they are simply tone clusters below the melody line as opposed to chords with harmonic function here, since they are really only part of the brief little recitative in measures 18 and 19. It is kind of suspended on two altered 7th chords. But you have to look pretty close for those two chords F A C(Bsharp)Eflat and G B Dflat(Csharp) F.

    Anyway, I don't normally analyze my own music but I hope this makes more sense now. I glad you took the time to listen and comment. Thank you.
    Kind Regards

    Louis Dekker
    My Music Site

    Pour être grand, il faut avoir été petit.

  6. #6
    Senior Member rwayland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    California Redwoods
    Posts
    2,938

    Re: Sonatine for piano 2nd movt

    Well, Louis, the mood was to me mildly melancholy, which suits my musical tastes quite well. I did not find the dissonance unpleasant (well, how could I?). I did consider some of the chords as clusters. The nocturne struck me as a blend of Brubeck and Henselt. Beautiful, and restful, which is what I needed after a close game of chess, which always leaves me feeling like I am experiencing an adrenalin rush or something. Like you, I usually don't analyze my own compositions, preferring to leave that to the more musicology minded. Truly a beautiful work of art! Now get on with the rest!!


    Your music makes me think I should at least now and then write with a thinner texture and a bit more relaxed, but only now and then, as it would not be me.

    Richard

  7. #7

    Re: Sonatine for piano 2nd movt

    Louis,

    I've listened with interest to both movements. For me it is a good study for hearing atonality.

    The first movement is a playful blend of very light themes and very resolute ones, which are expertly layered and mixed.

    The second move is more pensive and reflective but with a clear direction.
    I liked the fading ending.

    I think both would sound terrific played live!

    Well done!

    Looking forward to the next movement.

    ~Yudit~

  8. #8

    Re: Sonatine for piano 2nd movt

    Good morning Louis,

    very,very interesting and wonderful. Yes, some of the sequences are like tone clusters, but great and well done. Maybe a bit less "pesante" now and then. I am waiting for the full Sonatine.

    Thanks for posting,

    Raymond

  9. #9

    Re: Sonatine for piano 2nd movt

    Quote Originally Posted by rwayland View Post
    Well, Louis, the mood was to me mildly melancholy, which suits my musical tastes quite well. I did not find the dissonance unpleasant (well, how could I?). I did consider some of the chords as clusters. The nocturne struck me as a blend of Brubeck and Henselt. Beautiful, and restful, which is what I needed after a close game of chess, which always leaves me feeling like I am experiencing an adrenalin rush or something. Like you, I usually don't analyze my own compositions, preferring to leave that to the more musicology minded. Truly a beautiful work of art! Now get on with the rest!!


    Your music makes me think I should at least now and then write with a thinner texture and a bit more relaxed, but only now and then, as it would not be me.

    Richard
    I thank you very much Richard for listening and commenting. Yes indeed, dissonance is something that I simply cannot hear anymore too. Although, it has to be in context of course. But otherwise dissonance only exists there where it is not supposed to be and where it has no function.

    You are right about your music, writing something like this is not really your style. The tension in your work is so characteristic and what I particularly like about it. Tension so unbearable, it sends shivers down the spine, and I mean that in a good way. But I remember a flute piece that you wrote many years ago, Sequoia Moon. It was what made me a devoted Wayland fan... it was your more tender side.....

    Anyway, thanks again. I am looking forward to completing the third movement.
    Kind Regards

    Louis Dekker
    My Music Site

    Pour être grand, il faut avoir été petit.

  10. #10

    Re: Sonatine for piano 2nd movt

    Quote Originally Posted by sunbird View Post
    Louis,

    I've listened with interest to both movements. For me it is a good study for hearing atonality.

    The first movement is a playful blend of very light themes and very resolute ones, which are expertly layered and mixed.

    The second move is more pensive and reflective but with a clear direction.
    I liked the fading ending.

    I think both would sound terrific played live!

    Well done!

    Looking forward to the next movement.

    ~Yudit~
    I'm glad you listened, Yudit. I wouldn't call it atonal, but it is certainly not tonal in the traditional sense.... I think if someone can find only one thing that stays with them after listening, even if more contemporary music is not their "thing", then I have achieved my goal to communicate.

    Thanks for commenting.
    Kind Regards

    Louis Dekker
    My Music Site

    Pour être grand, il faut avoir été petit.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •