• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Tech Coolness: SSD Hard Drives

Share/Bookmark

Tech Coolness: SSD Hard Drives

This could have important ramifications with sampling....
    We took 24 256GB Samsung MLC SSD's and put them in RAID to make this awesome computer! See how we did it, and what the results were!

Transfer rate of about 2 GB per second!

We had ARIA running on a 32GB SSD at NAMM and it worked great. Now to string a bunch together...

Re: Tech Coolness: SSD Hard Drives

So from what I gather online, these drives have much, much faster read times than HDDs, while write times are significantly slower, correct?

As you said Gary, these would be excellent as sample drives. You only have to install once, which would be a little slower, but then reading the samples would be much faster than a traditional HDD. I might have to include a couple of SSDs in my next computer.

Wow. That is pretty impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonare Coeli
    So from what I gather online, these drives have much, much faster read times than HDDs, while write times are significantly slower, correct?
    Since they're solid state, there's no seek time at all. If you pause the slides at the end of the video you can see they got 2GB/second on reads and writes. Now they are sequential reads and writes, but I would guess sample and audio data is sequential as well. They were also able to spread the reading and writing load across multiple controllers which really helps speed up performance.

They rivaled enterprise speeds for sure and probably exceeded some vendor's speeds. This is great for the average consumer.

Does anyone know what 'read' size would be? I'm thinking it's like a block size which in their test was really large. That would certainly influence performance as well.

Thanks for posting this Gary. It does seem promising for sampling and digital audio recording in general.

Steve Winkler

Oooh, nice Certainly looks exciting!
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

I've been thinking of buying my next Macbook Pro with an SSD.

If I will be recording max. 2 tracks at once, mostly and nearly all my music work will be using multiple virtual instruments at the same time, would you recommend SSD over a regular hard drive?

I've heard bad things when it comes to recording multiple tracks at once, since I've heard they aren't that effective (at least the ones that go into laptops) in writing lots of stuff at once, only reading?

Quote Originally Posted by Sonare Coeli View Post
    From what I have read the SSD drives write data at around 180 - 200 megabytes per second. A typical HDD writes around 80 megabytes per second. Unless there is something I am missing the much higher write times would make SSD drives appreciably faster.

-Kevin
    We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

So that's what it looks like! The tech who worked on my PC installed an SSD. I didn't understand but I was amazed at how small it was and no working parts all solid state. I have to admit it loads far faster than any other drive but they do come with a bit of a price tag.
    That was cool Gary! Thanks for sharing.
    Styxx

what are the fastest SDD one can buy?

Those are pricey. A 64GB drive runs about $150 on average. It also looks like if it's an internal drive it uses a SATA connection like the video and if it's external it uses usb.

One I was just looking at is rated at 130MB/sec for sequential reads and 90MB/sec for sequential writes. Random reads are 80MB/second and random writes are 25MB/second.

Someone could confirm but I would have to think that reading samples and writing audio data to a disk is sequential.

I also think the speed would depend on the controller. For example I found some that have an IDE drive interface and the read/write ratings are much lower than the SATA ratings.

Steve Winkler

That was a very interesting video! If or when the price of SSD hard drives come down. . . and when they hold larger volumes of information, I'll be there purchasing them! (I guess I'm a sucker for this kind of stuff! LOL! )
    Music and humor are healthy for the soul.

Go Back to forum