• Register
  • Help

Topic: Question about harmonic music analysis

Share/Bookmark

Exclamation Question about harmonic music analysis

We need to do some harmonic analysis with choral notation and while I can figure out what kind of chord is used I don't know how to figure out if it's an interval and if yes, which one. I was told that I need to rearrange the notes but I still can't figure it out.
    Hope someone here is experienced enough to help

Re: Question about harmonic music analysis

Quote Originally Posted by Elrasiel View Post
    We need to do some harmonic analysis with choral notation and while I can figure out what kind of chord is used I don't know how to figure out if it's an interval and if yes, which one. I was told that I need to rearrange the notes but I still can't figure it out.
    Hope someone here is experienced enough to help
    I hope I can help here. Firstly, unless there is a rest, there will always be an interval. Second, re-arranging the notes is a good practice yes, until you get the hang of reading multiple staves at once, at which point it becomes moot. If you do want to re-arrange it in the meantime, simply take all of the notes from each staff and combine them onto one grand staff (so, if you had a SATB part going E5, B4, G3, E3, you would simply take them all off different staves and arrange them on one grand staff).

(The following is done just taking the first line of Handel's Hallelujah chorus, found here: http://music.untraveledroad.com/Handel/Hallelujah.pdf by the way)

In the first bar, we can see that the SATB lines go D3 F#3 A4 D5 (respectively)

If we wanted to know the interval between the T and B lines for instance, we would simply need to know the interval between D and F#, which is a major third. However, if we wanted to know the interval between the T and A lines, we would need to know the compound interval of F# to A (so, a minor third, plus an octave, or a minor tenth). You can use this idea to find the intervals of anything else you need to find. Just keep in mind transposition for instruments like the Kontrabass, Bb Trombone, etc.

Hope that helped.

Go Back to forum