• Register
  • Help

Topic: Mount olympia

Share/Bookmark

Mount olympia

An older work from 2 years ago. Based on one theme.
    New tweeks & sounds

Gary

hi-fi URL: http://www.soundclick.com/util/getpl...d=7415476&q=hi

Re: Mount olympia

Gary

That's a lot of reverb or maybe I am just real tired. But the piano sounded funny due to the amount of reverb.

I am also getting a lot of distortion in the brass because of volume issues.

Still a nice piece, Just a few touches here and there.

Ron
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

http://composersforum.ning.com/profile/RonaldFerguson

Hi Gary, This is a pleasant surprise from you. There is a gentle, melodic mood to this piece and the pulse beneath it works nicely. I agree with Ron on the reverb though. I think the mixing quandary is the major impediment to your music being really heard. Maybe it's like they said about Wagner, "his music is better than it sounds."
    The brass lines in this piece are really nice and would benefit from a real good mix. I believe this one could really shine. Thanks for sharing it, John

Thanks for listening, Ron & John.
    I changed reverb & some dynamics so that nothing was sticking out, but it sounds much louder on this site than on my desktop. Maybe it hasn't registered the change yet.

The theme is the medieval chant from Dies Irae, traditionally sung in masses for the dead.
    GARY

This is something different from you. It's very nice. It feels pastoral.

I think there are still some technical issues that are getting in the way of the listener.

Phil

Thanks for listening, Phil
    I made some adjustments, but apparantly not enough.
    Gary

Hi, Gary - I see what the others meant when they said this piece is so different from what we've heard before from you. Yes, more gentle, and colored with pastels instead of the palette knife oils we associate with you. It's all good, not saying this is Better, it's just fun to be surprised.

As I noted on another one of your pieces recently, I feel I can still recognize your signature in the orchestration - it's the brief bursts which quickly add their remark and then equally quickly retreat. That's part of the Mosse style I recognize and enjoy.

So you've re-done this file since you originally posted it. --Also as I said in a recent reply to a post of yours, it's mysterious how at times your recordings can be so balanced with the reverb and the general production, and then suddenly you'll have a recording which has the old issues again.

The Piano at the top of this is still far far too far away, awash with reverb. Take a listen - hear all those sound waves bouncing around inside the barn? That's a plugin at probably 100% wet - it's just too much.

And then when the Brass gets prominent, it distorts - that kind of distortion would be audible on any playback system, it has nothing to do with hearing it on small speakers or large, good amp or funky laptop sound card.

Sorry you have the tech issues with this and some other pieces. You know we keep trying to get you some helpful advice.

But thanks for the music - It came and went too quickly.

Randy

Thanks for listening, Randy.
    Yes, I am inconsistent at times.
    I like to think of some of my music as being acrylic & others as water colors.

Go Back to forum