• Register
  • Help

Topic: Milk & Elfmann

Share/Bookmark

Milk & Elfmann

Well, I am wondering if there are any comments on the music. Anyone seen the movie and heard the music?

Richard

Re: Milk & Elfmann

i'm generally not very crazy about elfman, but i thought the music in this was superb. in fact, everything about the film was excellent. i can't hum the melody back to you, but i think that's because the music wasn't about the melody as much as it was there to provide emotional support.

the movie starts off with a little news reel (actual footage) montage of the story and the music behind was really beautiful - although i remember hearing the sax come in and i wasn't crazy about it. but all in all it was great. NOTHING like what i'm used to hearing from him.
    -Keith Fuller

http://keithfullermusic.com
    ---
    iMac Quad i7 * MacBook Pro * Logic Studio 9 * WD 320GB & 1TB Externals@7,200RPM * Presonus Firebox * M-Audio Axiom 25 & Keystation 61 * Rode NT1-A * Epiphone Hollowbody * Fender Amp * KRK Rokit 8's

I would not have guessed that Danny Elfman was the composer for the movie. I thought the music complimented the movie very well!

-Kevin
    We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

I groaned when I saw that Danny Elfman was scoring this film. Anyone who knows me knows that I dislike almost everything he's ever written. Then I remembered that I really liked the score to Dolores Claiborne, so I gave Elfman a chance with milk.

And yes, most of the music was quite nice, and most of it had a rather "background-ish" underscore quality to it.

However, he just had to go and ruin it with his trademark little "girly choir" effect in a few scenes. That alone was enough to turn me off from an otherwise remarkable and moving film. I kept expecting the theme from The Simpsons to break out suddenly.

Quote Originally Posted by qccowboy View Post
    I groaned when I saw that Danny Elfman was scoring this film. Anyone who knows me knows that I dislike almost everything he's ever written. Then I remembered that I really liked the score to Dolores Claiborne, so I gave Elfman a chance with milk.

And yes, most of the music was quite nice, and most of it had a rather "background-ish" underscore quality to it.

However, he just had to go and ruin it with his trademark little "girly choir" effect in a few scenes. That alone was enough to turn me off from an otherwise remarkable and moving film. I kept expecting the theme from The Simpsons to break out suddenly.
    Actually, now that you mention it Michel, you are right. The `girly choir' was a distraction. I had totally forgotten about until you mentioned it. I even thought to myself that is was out of place.

-Kevin
    We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

Well, I opened the topic because I don't see many movies and lead a moderately reclusive life (now!) and wondered how my reaction compared to the more gregarious population. In short, I am, as usual, way out in left field, where I have been for 77 years. The responses so far are in general as I had expected, except that I had hoped for some more comments on the content.

Richard

Go Back to forum