• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: GPO Harpsichord and Finale's Human Playback

Share/Bookmark

GPO Harpsichord and Finale's Human Playback

Hello,

I've got an exasperating problem on my hands. A lot of users here seem to work with Finale and so might be able to help. When I use Finale 2009 for score realization with Human Playback enabled, it seems there is no way at all to adjust the volume of the GPO harpsichord (perhaps organ as well; I haven't tried). No matter what I do, the instrument's volume (CC#7) is always automatically set to an obscenely loud 0.0 dB. Since the harpsichord is not a velocity sensitive instrument dynamic markings are lost on it. Can anybody think of a way to bypass Human Playback's automatic balance control to change the volume of the instrument? To be clear, I understand that the harpsichord naturally has no dynamic range, but I need a mixing solution. 0.0 dB is just far too loud.

Thanks,
    Henry

Re: GPO Harpsichord and Finale's Human Playback

Without Finale in front of me to look at Human Playback setting possibilities, you can open Finale's mixer OR change to studio view and simply pull back the fader for the harpsichord staff.

Are you positive the harpsichord is NOT velocity sensitive? I would think that's the only way you could control the volume since there's no sustain to speak of.

Steve Winkler

I'm not in front of my audio DAW right now, so I'll throw out what I can right now and if these ideas don't work I'll be glad to look at it tonight.

I am pretty sure the harpsichord is velocity sensitive. However, I think you are looking for the mod wheel (CC 1) to lower the overall volume.

Hopefully this works,

-Kevin
    We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

from within Finale, the "instrument list" allows you to set a relative volume for every instrument in your score.

Hi, Henry

I do believe Steve has your answer - as with all of the instruments in your project, you need to get into Finale's mixer and set the levels you want.

CC1 definitely has no effect on the Harpsichord, just as it doesn't on the GPO Piano, or any percussion instruments except for some Cymbal and drum rolls.

In the GPO manual, the Harpsichord is listed as responding to velocity for its volume - but that doesn't make sense. Just as with the real world instrument, the GPO Harpsichord plays at one volume level. That constant unchanging volume is part of the Harpsichord's characteristic sound.

Randy

Re harpsichord velocity, etc. this old post by Tom Hopkins may be helpful:

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ad.php?t=27182

I just checked the manual and there is indeed an error stating that harpsichord responds to velocity (it shouldn't and doesn't). For more information on the hows and whys of harpsichord see Terry Dwyer's tutorial here: http://www.garritan.com/HarpsichordTutorilalGPO.html

... as far as relative volume, the suggestions of mixer/instrument list should work.

-- Harvey

Well that is the last time I answer a question without being in front of the computer.

The mixer is the route to take, no question.

-Kevin
    We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

or, you can do as I've already said: go to the Instrument list and adjust the volume from there.

Or you can ignore the years I've been using nothing but Finale to make my demos.... (including a harpsichord concerto)

Hi, Michel - I can only speak for myself, but when you said the "instrument list" I thought you were referring to the mixer. I thought I was reiterating what you said - I'm sure nobody wants to ignore the advice of a veteran Finale user like yourself.

So the "instrument list" and the "mixer" are two different things in the program? Where in Finale do you open up KP2 and go straight to the sound origin, and change the volume on the instrument's GUI?

I'm a Sibelius user, so do the best I can trying to understand how Finale works. In Sib, the mixer pop-up is the easiest way to adjust an instrument's volume. As I work on each instrument, I temporarily boost its volume above the others so I can hear it most clearly, then re-adjust the volume when I've finished editing the staves.

Thanks for getting back on here, sorry you seemed to be ignored. I'm sure that wasn't anyone's intention.

Randy

In Finale, if you want to work directly with the Kontakt Player, you need to go to the "MIDI/Audio" menu, then from there, choose "VST set-up".

I know some people have had trouble in the past setting the volume directly from the Kontakt Player, as Finale seems to want to reset it when you hit playback.

Therefore, I suggest using the alternate means of adjusting the audio level (as well as muting and un-muting staves):

From the "Window" menu, select the "Instrument List" option.
    A new window opens up with many options which are very easily set and which REMAIN set when you press playback.

Finale, in this way, allows you to adjust volume, pan, and a few other things (which are mostly for use with Softsynth rather than VST) directly from one simple-to-use window.

I have yet to use the Mixer feature, since I find it redundant. I believe that almost all the same functions are available in the Instrument List window.

However, to be clear, I rarely adjust any of these settings "on the fly", which might be more easily done from the Mixer window.

The Mixer window is actually part of a different "view" in Finale.
    You have three choices of "views" in Finale:

Page View (much like in Sibelius, where you see the layout as a single (or multiple, depending on the version) page of manuscript. This view is mostly for engraving purposes as it shows you the "print preview" of your score.

Scroll View is exactly as its name suggests - a view of your score as one long continuous left-to-right scroll of music paper. Any spacing adjustments you make in scroll view are NOT guaranteed to be reflected in your page view.

and finally
    Studio View, which is a hybrid version of the Scroll View, as it includes the mixer as an integrated window (on the left) and a new feature in Finale called "Tempo Tap" which lets you adjust very fine details of tempo as a sort of notational click track.

Go Back to forum