• Register
  • Help

Topic: Parameter Automation in Stylus RMX 1.7

Share/Bookmark

Announcement: Parameter Automation in Stylus RMX 1.7

After discussing the issue of parameter automation in Stylus RMX 1.7 with customers and amongst ourselves, two points are clear:

1) Some users are relying upon the automation of parameters other than the 74 officially automatable parameters in RMX. We didn't intend for those other parameters to be automatable, and in most hosts they are not, but there is a loophole that permits them to be automated on some hosts. In order to improve the compatibility of automation across versions of RMX, it was necessary to close that loophole in RMX 1.7. However, that causes hardship for some of our customers who have come to rely upon automation of these "unofficial" parameters.

2) Our customers like the way automation works in Omnisphere and that is a good model for how an instrument with a large number of parameters like RMX should do automation. In fact, it has always been our intention to eventually incorporate the Omnisphere style of handling parameter automation into RMX.

After considering these two points, we have decided to help customers who have come to rely upon this unintended feature of 1.5 which is not available in 1.7 by offering a free 1.8 upgrade to RMX which will include Omnisphere-like parameter automation. This means you will be able to automate almost any parameter, you'll be able to easily manage large numbers of automatable parameters, you can save and load automation templates, the parameters will be named, your songs which use automation will be upwards compatible with new versions of RMX, and it will be available in all hosts which support parameter automation. In other words, the support for parameter automation in RMX 1.8 will be far superior to what was available in RMX 1.5.

We will be announcing the date for this free upgrade shortly, but we wanted to inform you of our decision as soon as possible. In the meantime, if you are using RMX 1.7, please note that it is not necessary to use parameter automation to control parameters from your host or control surface. RMX 1.7 has a comprehensive MIDI learn system you can use instead.

Re: Parameter Automation in Stylus RMX 1.7

Great news, Glenn! I don't have Omnisphere, but what I've heard about the automation there is very nice. One of the features is that you won't get an 143 page default Automap.

But could you please explain why an 1.5 unintended feature and 1.7 closed loophole is described in detail as working in the 1.7 Help section? It doesn't say anything about 74 official parameters, it says RMX has almost 20,000 automatable parameters.

Anyway, many thanks for this and not least the upwards compatibility!

Plz forgive the lack of some terminology - IMHO this synopsis.

20,000 param are possible to automate.

But.. that many choices exceeds any way to make all those param available at once, under every host. Eg. Both Logic 8 & Live 7 have a 128 limit on parameters in Arrange/ Envelope Automation- thank the Midi Spec for that - which has been grandfathered into many DAW.

So... in RMX the mixer page (approx) is the one that have been 'hardwired' into the Host Automation lists. Open up Logic, activate Arrange Automation and go to choose a param. A list of the Official Parameters appears (74). Same in Live's Envelope Automation.

These 74 correspond to the controls on the RMX Mixer page, for all 8 channesl (Vol, Pan, Mute, Solo, FX, Play, Play for each part, etc).

Works great for a quick multi tweak.

Not so good to get in and edit your loop, or create Chaos, or Time changes.

But... in 1.5 that is exactly why the Midi Learn feature is so powerfull - customize what the 128 CC numbers control and use your Hosts CC# list to control them. Works reallly well. With the ability to save dif Midi Learn Templates, it is a really flexible and comprehensive system. Just takes some time to set up.

In 1.7.. dunno - I have no idea what parameters were never meant to be automated - as it all sounded wicked to me.. But I love when things go wrong and sound great

Hope this info helpss
    Mac PPC 2ghz dual, 1.67 ghz PPC 17" lappy, Samson 65a, Logic 8.01 (dont use), Live 8.05 suite (dont fix what aint broke), Skull collection & Howling dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by arafel View Post
    Both Logic 8 & Live 7 have a 128 limit on parameters in Arrange/ Envelope Automation...
    But... in 1.5 that is exactly why the Midi Learn feature is so powerfull - customize what the 128 CC numbers control and use your Hosts CC# list to control them. Works reallly well. With the ability to save dif Midi Learn Templates, it is a really flexible and comprehensive system. Just takes some time to set up.

In 1.7.. dunno - I have no idea what parameters were never meant to be automated - as it all sounded wicked to me.. But I love when things go wrong and sound great
    This number will increase in Live 8 when it is released next month. I feel like I missed out when I "updated" to 1.7 immediately after installing 1.5 without fully exploring the parameters. I figured the latest would be the greatest as is usually the case with most software updates. Well I was gaga over Time Designer so I guess I would have done it anyway. Anxiously awaiting 1.8.
    So how many of the 20,000 parameters will be exposed to Live 8?

Hmmm.

Whatever Spectrasonics will do with the parameter automation I surely hope they will test it T-H-O-R-O-U-G-H-L-Y with the big host sequencers.

And - all RMX users - do NOT expect to get the same default map as with 1.6. You will all be told it is "so easy" to setup automation parameters that "it is not necessary" to have the default map.

That is what I got when running Omnisphere. After messing with the automation parameters (towards Logic) I was eventually told it was a bug with Logic that made it impossible to get the Omnisphere automation parameters name displayed in Logic. That was for dynamic parameters.
    See:
    http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ad.php?t=64433

In comparison, RMX 1.6 with the static automations parameters, all is working.

Well, well.

The $10,000 question is why Spectrasonics do not give the customers the privilege to decide for themselves if they want to use a default, working, automation parameter mapping or not. Especially as Spectrasonics say it is so easy, and I, as a paying customer, can not get it to work. Would I be given the default automation parameter mapping I could use my time composing instead of messing around with problematic configuration procedures and write long forum messages, obviously to no use.

/Jakob

No worries.

We'll set up the default in 1.8 to be the same as it was in 1.5/1.6. Then you can change it if you like.

You'll have access to all 20,000 automatable parameters, just like MIDI Learn works....but with the automation system of the host.

By the way, you can setup your own defaults for the automation in Omnisphere and save that so that it opens how ever you'd like it to work.

In setting up the RMX 1.8d host automation (Logic 8.02), once I setup a controller for a parameter on part 1-midi ch 1, will this controller work for the same type parameter when I move to part2-midi ch 2?

For instance I want to set up a controller for filter cutoff. Do I have to set up 8 separate controllers to be able to control cutoff on each part? I guess what I'm wanting is a global controller for the edit functions, so that cutoff, resonance, ADSR is setup once and then controls whatever part I happen to be sending midi to. Is this possible?
    thx

Fantastic.

Go Back to forum